Sunday, July 20, 2014

Back blog - we Yankee Doodled with McFees

We left so soon after the 4th of July for our Cannon Beach vacation that I didn't have a chance to blog about the sparkly good time we had with our friends over the 4th of July holiday. This blog will remedy that. I write as I sit on my deck on a fine hot Sunday afternoon. Finally - some heat.

The City of Des Moines hosts an annual celebration on the 3rd of July called Yankee Doodle Pops. The symphony plays and of course, at dark, fireworks ensue. Paul and I attended last year and had a good time. This year we were delighted to be joined for the night by our good friends Bobbie and Jeff. My former roomie Joan came after work to the Pops.

Bobbie, Jeff, Paul and I headed downtown Thursday July 3rd - first stop:
Buzzard Billy's. Their chicken jerk nachos are good. We carried our chairs along as we walked east towards the Iowa State Capitol Building.
Next stop: Locust Street Tap. Yes...it's a dive. Bobbie and Jeff relished in the diviness. Oh wait - that was me.
Jeff talks farming at Lime

Then we went around the corner to Lime - where they mix a good martini. We sat outside because it was a great evening. By then it was 6:30 or so - time to go put our chairs down at the Pops location. We wanted to get a good spot. We headed back towards Locust Street only to see a male 60 year old cross dresser in a blond wig, heels, plaid shorts - was he shirtless? He was working it for a photographer with the brick wall of Locust Tap in the background. Wow! I yelled out encouragement but didn't stop for a photo. What was I thinking?

A salsa band was playing as we placed our chairs. We didn't have a cooler with drinks. After chair placement wiser heads prevailed. More drinks were in order. We walked back to Lime where the cross dresser was sitting on the patio - sans wig, now wearing a hat. And a shirt. Another man sidled by us on a wall and scrambled into a seat near us saying, "You didn't see someone who looked just like me walk by did you..."! It was getting interesting.

We went back to our seats at the Capitol after one more drink. Joan joined us and we found her niece and daughter. We watched people. Then the music started. When the fireworks started we figured out why our seats weren't very good - we were behind a tree! We started headed west walking toward to the car so we could see them.


We were very hungry so we headed west to Bar Louie - and had a bit to eat before retiring for the night. The next day we had breakfast casserole on the deck.
breakfast on the deck
After breakfast we went for a bike ride - going on the trail east of our house. I stopped at Saints while the others went farther. I was already in vaca mode - sipping a brew whilst I awaited my pals.
It was a good 3/4th of July. After B&J left we packed our bags - ready for the early flight the next day. I miss holidays and vacation.

No comments: