Thursday, October 24, 2013

We shall overcome

Last year in Bolder - the gang


My high school homies and I...we've got a few dings (or are a little dingy). Seriously. My friends have overcome some stuff - but are strong ladies that just keep plugging away. I've had my own trials in life - but can't say how much I love and admire my pals and their grace in dealing with adversity. Here are just a few things they have dealt with:
  • While still a youngster herself, Pam discovered her baby daughter was deaf (it turned out okay, because Nicole is great, but it had to be a shock)
  • Sally's newborn son suffered from an illness and had to have heart surgery, years later another son suffered a stroke and had to have heart surgery
  • Marriage breakups 
  • Single parenting
  • Children who have gone through problems - health and other issues. No matter how old they are, they're always our babies!
  • Robyn lost much of the hearing in one ear  
  • Loss of a spouse - Joanie just lost her husband in January. They had just remarried, after breaking up a while earlier. Joan was caring for Larry when he took a turn for the worse.
  • Loss of parents - too soon, especially Paula who lost her dad in 6th grade, Julia's Mom died in her early 50's.
  • Paula's brother Kirk died of AIDS in the early 1980s - he's been gone so long now. Such a nice guy!
Joanie, Paula and Pammy

I'm sure I've missed other trials and tribulations. Nobody is immune from suffering, for sure. Everyone must decide how to deal with adversity. And despite it all - the girls can still laugh. You have to. I'm glad we are also there to support each other.

We remember our friend Theresa who passed away several years ago. We miss and love you Foostic.  

No comments: