Friday, October 4, 2013

Shutdown

Co-commuting for the Goldsmiths has temporarily been suspended. I hope it's temporary anyway! I've grown accustomed to his face ("My Fair Lady reference here - yes, I'm Henry Higgins. I have spent 30+ years molding this man). I miss getting my kiss on the corner of Pennsylvania and Grand.

My husband Paul George Goldsmith is a United States Department of Agriculture employee of 31 years. He's been deemed "Unessential" and has been furloughed for the time being. Unforeseeable future. And all that.

So far he has painted the short hall outside of Amy's room and hunted. He shot a doe, so papa's bringing home some meat! He delivered it to Zeb's Smokehouse in Bedford. I wish I could have gone with him, because Zeb is smokin' hot!
You can't tell from this pic, but he's very cute!
I met Zeb when I managed the landfill in Creston. Part of his allure is his adorable hunk personality. He knows how to smoke meat too! Paul said he didn't see Zeb when he dropped the deer off though...so no loss.

Yesterday Paul vacuumed and did the pre-Cyclone game prep. I think he's going to be bored by next week. Today he's attending a work related meeting at Des Moines Waterworks - to listen to Bill Stowe talk about water quality. Unpaid of course, but he cares about water quality and is dedicated to his profession.

It's so disturbing to read articles in the Washington Post, New York Times, or even DM Register - and then read through comments to see how casually people trash public employees. Is that jealousy talking? I understand that a few bad apples have shown federal, state and local employees in a bad light. But in our experience, we are doing our best to do to make this city, state and country better. Even our own managers - the politicians who lead the governments in charge of us seem to treat us and our co-workers with disdain.

Yes, I know - we have a pretty good deal, so my self pity party doesn't go far. Many people we know have lost jobs and have had to take pay cuts. So I am not writing this in a vacuum, thinking woe is us...nobody else has suffered. Plus - we are at a good place in our lives. Amy and Jud are raised - woohoo. They have jobs. This would have been much tougher to swallow 10 years ago. I do feel for the other feds who aren't as fortunate as we are. The infuriating part is that this time it's controllable - and is merely because of the dis-function in national government today.

The good news!
The desk came complete with mail!

Amy came home for the weekend. We like to see her, she likes to be home for a football game, her birthday is coming up and her desk is finished. All those things pointed to this weekend being the one.

Paul made her an oak desk when she moved into an apartment in Ames. In the Denver climate, the desk developed a crack across the top, so we brought it back with us in May and he cut it off and replaced it - this time staining it the new top black. She selected modern hardware to replace the brass finish that was on it before. It turned out really cool! Amy's car, little Dave the Honda Fit, really does fit a desk like that.
Jenna, Rachelle and Amy - with Paul staring into the distance

Last night was fun! Despite the fact that our usual homies couldn't make the game. Poor relative wedding date planning for the McKim clan, and Jeff McFee was farming. Bobbie is doing a software upgrade where she works. Regardless - it was a Thursday night tailgating experience - the ISU vs. Texas game for the Goldsmiths. We got to see Rachelle and Jenna -  Amy's college roomies. Man I love those gals! They tell the best stories - oversharing, and laughing about people in their lives who are a bit psycho.

I was proud of the way Cyclone fans turned out on a Thursday night - great crowd. McKims gave their tickets to cousins or some such - they were quiet guys. It wasn't like sitting by Diana. They didn't guffaw over the irritating lady behind us, who says the stupid things like, "run forward!". No shit!

Obviously the game result wasn't what we were looking for. Again. Such is the life of a Cyclone fan. Nothing new there. I'm happy to see our players improving each game - so I'm taking that away from the experience.

Today was girl's day for Amy and me. We got to have lunch with Paul's sis Carol, after a stop at All Spice in the East Village for some yummy oil and vinegar - you can taste it before you buy. We met Carol at the Drake area Jethro's. It was fun to catch up. She's in town for a quilting thing. Good food - good company.

We headed to Valley West Mall after lunch to get a pedis. Amy has a couple of ugly black nails as a result of hiking 14,000 ft. climbs. Her shoes weren't the best - and she bruised her toes. Ugh! Now they're pretty blue. It was fun to have a friend to talk to during my pedi. Usually I just read my phone.

I like having the kid around. I hope the Cyclones can get some wins soon. C'mon congress - figure something out and open the government. 







No comments: