Thursday, October 10, 2013

Kick Ass Mom

Hey Motherhood.org - I have a few words of advice. Yep...it's me. That lady who thinks she knows a lot. I am nearly 56 now. I've been through a lot! I wrote a blog on marriage recently. It only makes sense for me to pontificate on parenting too!

I'm not going to write "yes" as the pic above directs you to, because I don't believe it's true. Being an awesome mom is not a good excuse for being a lousy friend. And yes, I know how much time parenting takes! It sure doesn't leave a lot of time and energy to be a friend and to do things with friends. But just like anything worth while - you need to work at it!
Eating at G & G's in Atlantic

When our children were young, Paul and I lived in Creston where we didn't have family in town - built in babysitters, just dying to take care of our kids. We were on our own. I was lucky (not really - I just chose wisely) because I had a very supportive husband who actually did know how to change  diapers and bathe children. He didn't look at caring for his own kids as "babysitting". He also had this hunting habit that required him to be gone quite a bit during hunting season. Payback! He felt a bit guilty as a result, and encouraged me to get out of the house in order to assuage his guilt.
Amy turned green...as a Vlassic pickle, Jud was a scary guy

Why did Amy get to be Peanut?
Paul recognized how important seeing my buddies was to my sanity! (and he wanted a sane wife) Getting away gave me a chance to blow off steam - about marriage, parenthood, my job - whatever. Then I could go home and be excited to see the little varmints again. And the big one too!

When children observe their parents' positive healthy relationships with others, that's a good thing. They learn about a different kind of love and respect. Our kids saw Paul hang out with guys to hunt and play basketball. They saw me with my girlfriends - cooking Sunday night meals when we got together with McFees or having coffee with Deb.

Family is wonderful - my sisters are my friends too. My closest sister lives 700 miles away! And back when the kids were young, Mom and Dad were only in Atlantic during summer months - and they were busy with their own lives, golfing and traveling.

Regarding friends - I don't know what I'd do without my homies. I sure miss 'em! I look forward to hanging out with a few of my A-town pals soon - and it's got me putting an extra spring in my step!

Just as important as getting out of the house for my sanity, it was important for me - and Paul to show Amy and Jud that they weren't the total center of our world. That's too big a burden for kids. Sure - they act like they want it. They'll eat it up as long as you feed it to them. Some parents - moms especially think they're doing a good thing by becoming everything to their children, revolving their lives around them. Even though, when they're little they take all your time, children shouldn't be your hobby! Show them you have other interests.

Some parents are real martyrs - you've probably met them. They act all dramatic about all the "stuff" they've done for their child. Really? Was it for the kid? Or you? Our egos are powerful things. I know - I've got one! I have basked in the reflected glory of our children's glow. It felt damn good.

Did I push them into activities? Sometimes. Paul and I got more upset about games than the kids did at times! Parenting is much easier in hindsight. I know I'd do a better job now. In theory anyway. haha

So be a kick ass parent. And be a good friend - to yourself, as well as to others. If you're a lousy friend - don't use your kids as an excuse...
Atlantic Homegirls
Creston Homegirls

No comments: