Sunday, October 27, 2013

Sunday morning - I laughed, I cried

And no...that wasn't just watching yesterday's ISU Cyclone football game. Though that description could have described me, watching the game. It was ugly again. It's one of those years...we're Cyclone fans - we know the drill. Even before the season started I didn't like the home schedule - few early home games, and those were at night. One was on Thursday. Yuck. Add poor team play followed by injuries. I won't even mention the bad calls by referees - because that would make me sound petty. Yesterday's weather was very chilly and windy - it's too early to be that cold. Plus no RV to tailgate with. Sob...oh poor me. Yeah, I'll get over it. It's only football. I'm doing this for fun, right?

Life is good otherwise! Jud and Kara and friends stopped by our tailgate - always good to see them. I love getting hugs from the gang - Brad, Brady, Mitch, Pat - and I got to meet this girlfriend Lori. We had made a Crock Pot egg bake the night before - and it turned out quite tasty. You can't go wrong with eggs, cheese, bacon, sausage and onion. Diana made her signature sticky rolls with pecans. So despite the lack of an RV, we provided!
My pal - friends for over 20 years

Our waitress brought Deb this ice cream
How did we do it? It all started the night before. My BFF Deb was in town - shopping during her day off for birthday. We had made plans to go out for supper to celebrate. She arrived at my place about 4:30 p.m. So good to catch up - we hadn't seen each other since Labor Day! She, Paul and I headed to Cheesecake Factory for Happy Hour. McKims arrived about 6:45 p.m. for supper. We had a great time celebrating Deb's bday - which was Saturday. Deb took off for Creston when we got back to our place. So glad I got a chance to spend time with my bestie.

McKims stayed at our place for the night so we could get an early start for the ISU game in the a.m. We whipped up the egg casserole Friday night and got it started in the crockpot. About 9:30 p.m., Dee, Don and Paul decided to head to the Keg Stand bar to see Damon Dotson play. Phil Conover was there, and Katie McKim joined the group. Alas, I was pooped and stayed home. Saturday morning I was glad though...no hangover! We were up early Saturday and the rest is history. The beaten and bruised Cyclones and their fans are hopeful for next Saturday.

So - Sunday morning - the CBS Show. http://www.cbsnews.com/sunday-morning/

The pumpkin segment made me laugh out loud! Especially when they used a crane to hoist the giant spheres into the sky - and then let them plummet onto unsuspecting junker cars. Pumpkin races, a regatta - Priceless!

The other precious segment involved football. 
I don't see a heading for the story on the website. It was about a high school football team that took a dive on the 1 yard line to allow a learning disabled teammate to score a touchdown. It's not really a new idea. What touched me was the interview of a receiver. He admitted this was not his idea - he's been pretty self-centered up to this time. Then tears began to roll down his cheeks, and he professed how this one event has changed him.

If only we could arrange for every person to undergo such an event in his/her young life. Alas - each of our hearts are not open to such change. Just like some people pretend to be "Christians" but do not act in a Christian manner when it really counts. I was going to say I'm not pointing fingers...but that would be a lie. I have pointed fingers. And sometimes I can point the finger right at myself - I admit it. I can only keep plugging away! Stories like the one told today about a young man learning the value of giving remind me how important it is.

No comments: