Friday, October 11, 2013

I put my water wings on!

Oh damn...those aren't water wings - they're my flabby upper arms! A year ago I talked about joining a gym and getting into a pool. But my body didn't follow my mouth anywhere to get it done.

My name is Leslie, and I have a problem. It's called fear of the unknown. Is there a phobia name for that? This problem sometimes paralyzes me. It's stupid, I know - the fear of looking stupid. What's so hard about asking questions and learning something new? I'm not sure, but it's a big hurdle for me.

Last Sunday Paul and I checked out the Y's Healthy Living Center on 58th and University. That's the first step. The Healthy Living Center is not a full facility YMCA - built really for rehab. There is no gym or walking track. But it's the closest Y pool to our place, and I like that the weight area isn't packed with yuppies. And there are not kids all around. Yep - I'm an elderly snob. It's pretty plush too. Members can use all the other YMCA facilities in the area, so I decided to try out the one free week membership. Joining will give me a workout plan - they have advisors to set me up.

I have a long YMCA history. In Atlantic, the Bullocks were longtime members. The building was not far from our house, and it was a place Mom could send us to get us out of the house. We mostly shot baskets and messed around in the locker rooms. They didn't have a pool. The coolest thing was the trampoline! It was the old fashioned kind - made of strong woven fabric (not slick black nylon) with impressive springs. Kids took turns using it and got about 2 minutes to jump. I liked watching the big kids who could do flips - and eventually learned to do one myself - onto my bottom, not my feet.

The YMCA also sponsored girl's basketball - and Mrs. Holt coached us to play 5 on 5. She didn't believe in half court wimpy stuff! Atlantic's new Y still has a photo of our group on the wall, complete with my sis Betsy. Why? Mom must have talked me into taking her along that day. Y-Teens sponsored junior high dances that were the site of some steamy dancing, as I recall. Color My World!

In Creston I served on the YMCA Board of Directors for 3 years.  I used to work out at the facility quite religiously with my friends. (miss those gals!) On Fridays I especially enjoyed swimming. That was one thing I really missed when I started working in the big city. (I'm a longtime pool rat).

When the YMCA opened in Waukee, I was living close by with Joan, so I eagerly joined. But the place was packed to capacity all the time - and I just didn't like it. The pool was busy with team practice during the times I wanted to use it. Bleck! After a few months I dropped my membership.

Last summer I suffered from frozen shoulder syndrome and had it manipulated in July and went through rehab for several weeks. Then Paul and I uprooted our lives and moved. I just didn't have it in me to get out and exercise. Ya, excuses - I know. I stuck with doing my Wii at home and walking at the mall. But I need more, I know. Everything I hear and read points to exercise as the key to good health. I'm for that. I realized last night that I had tossed my lap swim suit when we moved - the elastic was shot! So we went to Sports Authority to get one - SALE win: $24 Speedo.

I loved swimming! I'm a water girl. The pool at this Y is not big. I shared a lane with a young man. I wound up doing 10 laps - could feel it in my shoulder, but in a good way. My arms are in such bad shape that when it was time to pull myself out of the pool, my arms were like noodles and I ended up crawling out very unceremoniously. I hope nobody was watching! Can't wait to go back.


 

No comments: