Thursday, September 6, 2012

Big News...Soon to Be Commuter No More


Big news from the Goldsmiths. One week ago, while I was waiting in Dr. Schulte, the surgeon's office, I received a text from my husband that said, "ready to move to DSM?". Gulp! He had applied for a job with Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) at the State Office in Des Moines, but we knew many people had planned to apply for that job. So I wasn't counting on it. I texted back, "What do you mean?"

He got the job! He will be the EQIP (Environmental Quality Incentives Program) coordinator.  This is NRCS's largest cost share program they administer in Iowa. His supervisor is the guy he replaced temporarily last winter when we had such a grand time living in the loft in the East Village. There was an opening thanks to a retirement in July, so we've known for a while this opportunity was coming up. Paul put his application in after we got back from Oregon in July.

This new job will be a huge change for Paul after working as District Conservationist in Union County for the past 26 years. He's certainly enjoyed his time here - he's had a great board and some good staff to work with through the years. Yes, we had hoped longtime clerk Iola Carlson would remember the kids in her will....but I'm sure the church needed the money more. haha.

So last week, I didn't really have time to absorb the texted news before surgeon Dr. Schulte came in to check out the shoulder. It's much better - finally! I'm supposed to be doing exercises and I need to get on that. But Physical Therapy is over - thanks to Geri for her care and concern over the past few months. I think I'd like to hang with that girl - well, woman - she's my age, and I liked her.

Anyway...after seeing the doc, it was time to drive home. I usually listen to a book on CD - but I had to turn it off...my mind was racing. I couldn't concentrate on a murder/who-done-it. I had a lot to think about. What? We are actually going to move to Des Moines? Yay!

Oh Shit! Leave Creston - the place we call home? Where Amy has lived since she was 1 year old, and Jud and Patrick were born. Leave a town that has watched those kids (and Paul and me) grow up? I love those people..and I love our house! It fits me like a glove - and it's nearly paid for. The friends we've made have seen us through good times and bad - simply the best. I'm sure there will be more on this to come in future blogs.

During the drive my mind kept spinning. How would we do it all? Sell a house, buy a new home? Meet new friends but keep the old (hey isn't that a Brownie song?) I started to freak a little - I admit it. But suddenly it all became clear. I would get to live with Paul again. And have a living situation where we can participate in a community. I will be able to volunteer again. I look forward to that. I became calm.

We had to keep the news on the downlow until Tuesday this week when Paul could tell his staff, and his new boss Larry Beeler could announce it to his staff. Of course we told our children last Friday when they were home. They knew we had been considering this move. Still they're sad to see us leave their hometown. Yet Jud and Amy are excited for our future. They're proud of their daddy, and glad for us and our new path in life.

Living the way we have the past four years has put a big crimp in our lifestyles. I've been lonely at times, but at least I've had the bestest roomie, Joan. Paul only has Odie the yappy wiener dog. It's not bad in the summer, but he really sounds bleak in the winter. Now we'll be together - like a husband and wife should be. That's what I tell myself when I start to panic.

So congrats to my husband on his new job! He is leaving me in the morning to hunt elk in Colorado for a week. He better come back alive or I might have to hurt him! Stay tuned - it should be an interesting next few months.



2 comments:

Mary MG said...

Congrats! Good for Paul! What a new and exciting change coming your way. Welcome to the (sort of) big city!

Kris said...

Congrats to Paul! What an exciting move for you guys! I can understand feeling torn, but you know you'll come down to Creston to visit - and you know my parents have a swell spare room! :)