Sunday, September 30, 2012

On the home front...


We've been showing our house. Quite a bit, actually for lil ol Creston, Iowa. So that mean we have to keep it shiny and bright! After looking at houses last week, the pressure is now on. I know people take this showing stuff seriously!
Stewart Realty Go to #22 Listing 15552

Friday night Paul and I worked at de-cluttering the walk-in closet in our bedroom. After I saw the photos on our realtor's site, I was embarrassed. In our defense, I was not planning on a photo shoot minutes after I arrived home from DSM that Thursday, so I had no time to prepare. (I'm still finding things I shoved in closets and drawers when Roger the Realtor prepared for pictures taking - Paul couldn't find his clip-on sunglasses for 2 days). We also took down lots of fam photos from the walls - that's what they recommend on HGTV, and I'm such a fan ya know. Paul took a whole carload of stuff to Holy Spirit's ReRun Shop.

This morning, I ran around doing some last minute cleaning before the first viewers were to arrive at 9 a.m. We were "showing" the house.

I turned on all the lights - that's what you're supposed to do, even though doing so goes against all my environmentalist views. When we look at houses I go around turning off all the lights! Then Odie and I loaded up in my car and took off. Paul was already out putting up tree stands for the upcoming hunting season.

The pooch and I got gasoline and a paper, then ran through McD's for some oatmeal. Then I parked at McKinley park for a while to each breakfast and take Odie for a short constitutional. Yes, she did do her duty, and I was prepared with a bag. I read the paper while she sat with me in the car. Then we headed to WalMart for a few purchases, before cruising by our place - viewer #2 was due at 10 a.m. and a big white truck was still parked in the driveway just after 10:30.

I choked up and shed a few tears then, as I drove on by...unable to return to my home as strangers walked through it gazing at my beloved place. I drove to Calgary Cemetary just up the road, where I've spent many a therapeutic time walking and thinking. Odie and I sat, and I read my book for a few more minutes. After 11 a.m. I tried again and this time they were gone. Yay - I could go home again. Odie was happy too.

Fingers crossed that we get people interested enough to put in large offers! And when we do sell it, I'll cry again. This isn't easy. But necessary.

On the other end, we looked at lots of houses last Tuesday, and have narrowed down where we want to live - most likely West Des Moines. We like the new homes there or, surprisingly, the townhomes. But we're still looking. It's fun - but now I know just how much work it is for the people on the other end. It's such a big decision - very stressful!

Paul starts his new job a week from Tuesday. He is having an Open House reception this Thursday here in Creston at his office 1-4 PM. I plan to come home early that day to attend. He's been here 26 years and has gone from a wet behind the ears newby to an elder statesman. I'm proud of him.

So all sorts of exciting, scary stuff going on. Isn't life interesting!?!

No comments: