Sunday, May 31, 2020

People Who Need People

So we went someplace. That was big!

Paul and I made our usual trek to Colorado over Memorial Weekend. Except it wasn't usual due to the pandemic. This year we prepared our own sandwiches to eat on the road. We loaded up with hand sanitizer and wipes for the car. We each made sure we had our masks along with backup masks. And then packed for Colorado weather - Denver and the mountains, so that means summer and winter!

We took off for Colorado the Friday before Memorial Day around 6:30 a.m. On our drive, we talked about the fact that our last trip before the shutdown had been our Colorado ski trip with our college pals. Covid 19 was just breaking out all over the country and we had no idea what the implications would be. It's a different world today.

Most people say derogatory things about the I-80 drive - across western Iowa, all of Nebraska and eastern Colorado. It takes us around nine hours using the Dave Bullock method - few stops.

It was beautiful - and not just because my eyes and heart were yearning for a change from my quarantine sites. Spring is such a lovely time of year and the rolling plains have experienced plenty of rain so everything is popping. When the Interstate Highway was built, plenty of "borrow" pit type lakes were built along the road, making for nice little wildlife, fishing areas. Shallow rivers flow along the road as well. People complain about how boring Nebraska is - not me! I think it's beautiful. Cornhusker fans...well, we won't talk about them.

Eastern Colorado gets a bit stark, but near Fort Morgan you start seeing a shadow along the terrain and realize, those are mountains, not clouds! We made this drive often when I was a kid because our cousins and auntie live in Denver. Dad would say "first person to see the mountains gets a Popsicle!" In the past, Denver often had some pollution hanging over the city. That day it was clear as a bell. Each time I make that drive I always think of those who made the trip in a covered wagon. Can you imagine their first look at those mountains? How did they ever do it? Hats off to the intrepid settlers of our great country. 

I was disappointed that when we stopped to gas up outside of Lincoln. Few people had masks on inside the store. Omaha was a hotspot at that point, with hospitals concerned they could be overwhelmed. The workers are the vulnerable ones. I wear mine for them. And to keep myself from touching my face. Our other stop was in Eastern Colorado at a small station where I couldn't bring myself to go inside as it was crowded with people. I'm just not comfortable being that close to lots of strangers - even when I have a mask on. I don't know when my Covid claustrophobia subside.

It was so good to see Amy and Corey. They've been sticking close to home, with Corey teleworking for his job with Syncroness, an engineering and product development firm, and Amy continuing her graphic design biz Gold Spark Design. She reported business dropped off early in the shutdown but has mostly bounced back. Usually, when we go to Denver we like to check out fab restaurants they like. That night we hung out at their place and they cooked for us. The rooftop deck is wonderful! The shut down has encouraged A&C, like most of us, to cook at home more. My fave was the twice-baked sweet potato Amy made. Corey grilled a nice rib-eye from a local meat market. We enjoyed just being with them and got to take the pups, Franklin and Eros, on a walk.

On Saturday morning we walked to a coffee shop. Wearing masks, we took turns going in for coffee and delish pastries. Who doesn't love an almond croissant? We love our kids and time with them was a much-needed salve.

Then we were off, driving up the mountain to sister Cindo's. We so missed our time together with Colby and her that was scheduled for early April in Marco Island, Florida. And Cindy and I were supposed to be with sisters Betsy and Susan on a cruise in France that week, returning Memorial Day. Paul helped Cindy with hard work - picking up and spreading mulch. Cindy invited a few friends that she sees frequently over for supper. Colby and girlfriend Kathleen came too.

The last night we went to our friends Bonnie and Eric's for a retirement party for Eric and the Sanders, another couple we've spent many Christmas dinners with. Shiloy and Jim Sanders retired from their jobs recently too. I sat at the dinner table that Monday night after a fab meal, just drinking in laughter and camaraderie with friends. Hugs and handshakes were out, but we were still together. Hand sanitizer was provided. There is such simple joy in physically being with others. Zoom has been great, but it will never replace this.

On Tuesday we drove to Iowa - back to our new/old life. I'm putting together a small consulting business aimed at assisting stakeholders that I formerly worked with when I was employed by DNR. Just starting a business has been an adventure! When I tried to set up an EIN (biz tax number) IRS told me Thursday that Social Security told them I'm dead. The national Social Security office guy reassured me that I'm not dead in their eyes, but didn't want to provide paperwork. The nice gentleman suggested I call the local office. I waited and tried filling out the online form on Friday and Yes! Lessarus had risen from the dead in IRS's eyes. Maybe it helped that I "unfroze" our credit. No matter what, I was no longer dead and have an EIN.

Now in addition to my usual schedule of reading, jigsaw puzzles, exercise, and household upkeep, I'll slowly start to market the biz - Goldsmith Environmental Consulting. The Trash Lady is back!
Amy designed this awesome logo for me! 
Note: we talked to Jud recently and got an adorable pic of DIL Kara - now around 25 weeks pregnant. They continue to work from home too. They are working on the baby's room and got a new to them vehicle, prepping to carry the precious cargo and 2 dogs. We hope to see them in June. For now, we'll continue laying low. We hope you and your families are well! Take care.

No comments: