Saturday, May 2, 2020

What calms you?

It's a high anxiety time. I talked to a good friend recently who said when she "gears up" putting on her facemask - and mentally prepares for a trip to the grocery store, she notices how anxious she feels. I can relate. I bet you can too. Shopping is not a leisure experience anymore.

A couple weeks ago I quipped that leaving the store be all like "I just pulled off a caper!" I put on my buff and gloves to shop at HyVee. At the store, I pick my places - trying my best to keep distance between me and the other shoppers and staff. Sometimes I hold my breath! I know, probably dumb - I haven't seen that method being touted as a way to be safe. Still, like holding my breath riding in a car driving by a graveyard when I was a kid, or not stepping on a sidewalk crack, I've adopted this behavior during Covid 19 times.

I started thinking about what helps me reduce stress. Reading Twitter and other news sites aren't stress reducers! So I'm trying to do less of that. I (and many others) enjoy doing Jigsaw puzzles. I started this hobby even before the pandemic as a way to reduce screen time. Walking and listening to books are two other great hobbies for me. I read fiction, but I marvel at the amount of educational information passed on in the books I read. Love my soaker bathtub for stress reduction too.

Today I'm listening to "The Tale Teller" by Anne Hillerman. It's part of the Leaphorn, Chee, Manuelito Four Corners detective series - started by Ms. Hillerman's father Tony who passed away in 2008. His daughter Anne carried on his legacy, writing the series which contains a great deal of information on Native American culture and antiquities. The reader speaks Navaho - the dialect is so intriguing. The characters are well-developed and dependable. During this time, I'm finding it best for me to read/listen to books where the good guys come out on top in the end. Lately, I've returned some books early that seemed to be too negative. I don't need that right now.

I've been thinking back to simpler times. Our high school class is planning next year's Class Reunion and a group email brought up some memories. All good ones - funny stuff about interaction with teachers and each other. I'd forgotten about what a body-baring time in life that was! A great deal of "mooning" (dropping drawers to show one's butt") and "streaking" (running buck naked) was happening. There are no photos and I wasn't involved. One classmate's brother attended a basketball game in a long trenchcoat. As we all stood up at the start of the game, he opened his coat to let loose two pigeons that flew around the gym pooping during the rest of the game. Incoming!
Jack was such a handsome boy! 

It was a fun time, but I sure wouldn't want to go back to those years. Teen angst you know. I was so fortunate to have a horse - Poco HiJack (Jack). He was wonderful therapy. I could ride him, brush him, or just lay on his back and sing while he grazed in the small fenced-in area at the Guttenfelder farm where he was boarded. He was solid and huggable, calm and secure. Hey - he sounds a lot like my husband! haha
Paul enjoys hunting to reduce anxiety - check out that happy smile! 

Everyone needs ways to reduce anxiety. I hope you are getting for yours!








No comments: