Friday, May 15, 2020

Drive Inn Memories

On May 14th, country singer Keith Urban performed a show for frontline medical workers at the Stardust Drive Inn (haughtily called an "outdoor cinema in the article I read) outside of Nashville. Watching a clip of the show gave me the "feels" about the good and crazy times I spent at the Atlantic Drive-In Theater located on the outskirts of my hometown, Atlantic, Iowa.

The Atlantic Drive Inn was in a swell spot - in between the Atlantic Cemetary and the railroad tracks. I have vague memories of going there as a family. If my sisters read this, they could confirm, or tell me I'm making things up again. There was a snack shack in the middle of the parking area and a small playground I believe. Again - chime in if you remember this!

When I started thinking about writing this, I thought about one of Don McKim and my fond shared loves. Cheech and Chong - comedians of our youth. They did a gig on their album "Los Cochinos" called "Pedro and the Man at the Drive-Inn" (along with many other hilarious gigs "Dave's Not Here, Man"). Beware - in my now more aware adulthood, I wince at how insensitive we were, laughing at the expense of others. On the other hand. Some stuff is just funny. 

Putting people in the trunk to avoid paying the Drive Inn entry fee was real! I recall piling into one of the Pellett family's huge Buicks after a swim meet at Sunnyside Pool. Clark Pellett was driving this group of around 10 lifeguards and other pool staff to some third rate movie. Getting into the lot with our hijinx was much more fun than the actual movie itself. 
Photo - courtesy Oskaloosa Herald

Finding a speaker that worked could also prove to be a challenge. Some didn't work at all. Others were so scratchy you couldn't tell what was being said. And like in the Cheech and Chong gig, positioning one's car was important. Especially if you had back seat viewers! Lots of people would bring pickup trucks and back into spots. Lots of people brought lawn chairs and blankets.  

Of course, a draw to the Drive-Inn was that we could take in beer and Annie Green Springs - a cheap wine for those who weren't cool enough (like me) to enjoy a cold one. Diane Heithoff and I piled into Mona Jones' giant green station wagon to do just that one summer. When the train went by during the movie, the ground would shake, noise - blocking out the movie. The train headlight bleached the screen. 

I saw some really bad movies at that place. "Smokey and the Bandit" and "Death Wish" are a couple I recall. They seemed to have a lot of horror movies, not a genre I enjoy. At least in a car, one could hide behind the dashboard during scary parts!   

Throughout my life I've mostly been a rules follower, staying inside the box. (insert big reveal music here) I jumped out of my box one time when leaving the Atlantic Drive Inn. The beer made me do it! 
Mona Jones - middle, with Sandy Larsen and me - cake servers at Sharon Leslein's wedding (our hs bball coach)

Mona drove the getaway car as Diane and I jumped out to steal letters from the movie marquis that was stupidly set on the ground near the entrance/exit to the Drive Inn. All around nice guy, Mike McCauley was my boyfriend during my junior year. When Mona stopped the wagon, I jumped out and grabbed a big 'ol black wooden M from the sign (it was just hanging on a wire) while Diane snatched another letter or two. What daredevils! I proudly put that M up on the large bulletin board in my room. If Mom ever noticed the purloined letter, she didn't say a thing. I felt like a badass! I feel bad about it now. Do you suppose they couldn't order any movies we M/W in them after that? 

The Atlantic Drive Inn closed long ago - and sat decaying for many years. Now it's gone altogether, the land cleared. Too bad, as it may have made a comeback today. They'd need a new sign. 




No comments: