Wednesday, April 26, 2017

The Next Stage of Life


The City of Creston lost a favorite son, my friend Linda lost her husband, the Landers children lost a father, and I (and lots of others) lost a friend. Michael (Mick) Landers passed away recently. He was the assistant fire chief in Creston, so his send off was magnificent. Mick died after a valiant battle against evil colon cancer. He was only 51.  

Paul and I attended the visitation where two firemen stood guard as he lay in state. It was comforting to see so many familiar faces at the funeral home. My friend Jeanne now works there - she'll be a great comfort to grieving families. She's such a warm wonderful person. 

Mick's family was lined up to greet people. They were doing pretty well, considering. I blubbered. Geez. At least I'm a good hugger. I really liked that guy. So did lots of others, judging by the line at the funeral home - which included several of our friends. We ended up catching supper with them. At times like that, it's very comforting to be surrounded by friends. 

I didn't really know Mick until somehow I talked him into working part-time for the Union County Landfill with me back in the early 2000's. He was trained to handle household hazardous waste and I needed a buddy to help me do that. And drive a truck with a trailer. We spent many hours together driving to Bedford, Mount Ayr, Atlantic and Audubon to collect drums and boxes of material. 

Those trips also involved hunting down local diners in search of pie! Of course, we spent time trading kid/parenting stories and many other topics along the way. I learned that he was a very honorable single dad, a hard worker, and an all around nice guy. Then he started dating my pal, Linda. Soon love was in the air! I was so happy for both of them when they married. 

Life is mysterious. I don't know what happens next. Mick was a man of faith and I know he is someplace good. After the funeral at the church, the Creston fire station did a ceremony that included the last call. It was heart-wrenching. RIP my friend. 

  

No comments: