Saturday, November 5, 2016

Friday Birthdays

Birthdays stopped being something to really look forward to when I graduated from college. Until then each birthday involved a fairly large celebration with me, the birthday girl being surrounded by friends and loved ones. Yeah. I'm spoiled like that.

Photos from early birthdays show Lil Leslie and friends (some were boys) all dressed up at the Bullock house at 202 Crombie. Mom knew I loved chocolate cake, so there were variations each and every year. One year we took all of my little friends to a football game out of town for my birthday - just sitting loose in the back of the 'ol green station wagon. Mom made up little goodie bags for everyone - with popcorn and candy. Way to go Mom!

  • Then, when I was older, Mom succumbed to the "Slumber Party" craze. I was a good little beggar. Our house had no insulation in the basement ceiling. Some girls could go all night with "Mary Worth" and the "Lift Game" Ouija Board stuff - no sleep. There was bound to be a catty fight or two. Pat Bullock would usually have to pound her foot and the floor and tell us to quiet down - which lasted all of 15 minutes. That caused my own birthday party to be stressful. Oh for the days of stress free day parties when we popped balloons with our butts.
  • By the time I hit High School, big parties were out, but my group of friends would celebrate each other's big day. We'd exchange gifts and go out to eat. Turning 16 was obviously a huge one. That was when I got the keys to the family green Ford Station Wagon. Awesome. haha. Our family had purchased a 1972 Chevy Vega as well - but Cindy had that at college - Drake University. During the winter my grandpa allowed me to drive his 1971 baby blue Volkswagon Beetle. I had a bit more swagger when I drove those cars - both manual transition stick shifts. It's been years since I drove a stick, but think I could still do it. Like riding a bike, right. Oops - back analogy for me...
  • College birthdays were awesome! Especially my 20th, when it fell on a Friday - just like last night. That year, 1977 the Big 4 (Sally Rodgers, Jane Flack and Vick Gernand + me) made a plan to FAC (Friday Afternoon Club) at the CaveInn downstairs. Our dorm floor had a "meet up" with a guy's floor. That night I got to dance to the Beetles' "Tonight is Your Birthday" and received birthday kisses from a bunch of guys. There was cake and beer along with loud music in that dark bar that afternoon. It was perfect!
  • The year I graduated from college, I worked on my birthday. There was cake. And work. I got cards and people called me long distance. (before cell phones, right) Real world shit! The party was mostly over.
  • Okay let's not go into some pity party like bdays suck after college. But once you go to work - and your day is on a work day, they are kinda normal days.
  • I have had some fun along the way. My pal Deb and I have birthdays near each other and have had some parties through the years.
  • That's why a Friday or other weekend day birthday is special! I work half days on Friday - so I got to pamper myself part of the day yesterday. Last night we went downtown to try a new joint called Bubba. It was so gorgeous out that we took a spin around the sculpture garden prior to heading to the restaurant. I don't often get birthdays in the 70's with sun.

  • I ordered the meat loaf with cheesy mashed potatoes. There was pecan pie for dessert. About then we spied some of Jud's besties from college coming up the stairs at the restaurant to celebrate a birthday. We'd seen them last at Jud and Kara's wedding. It was a fun way to end the evening!
  • Amy had called me earlier in the day and Jud called as we drove home. Facebook friends wished me a happy day. Life is good!

No comments: