Friday, November 11, 2016

Post Birthday Reality Check - political alert.

My first week at age 59 didn't go so well in my view.
  • I have a sinus infection
  • After a Bone Scan the past week, I learned Monday that I have Osteoporosis
  • The election didn't go the way I hoped
Life is certainly a roller coaster. It takes a lot to get through it at times. The sinus infection is one of those brief blips. With an assist from a ZPack and time, I should be back to my usual sinus self in a few days.

The Osteoporosis diagnosis was a bigger blow. I asked my healthcare provider, former Crestonite and longtime pal, Sheryl Young about the Bone Scan because I had read that people with Grave's Disease were at risk for lost calcium. She arranged the scan for me at age 59 - prior to the usual 60 year threshold due to that and my broken bone last year. Even so, I have it in my head that I am Super Woman - immune to such things!

When Sheryl called Monday to tell me I have the disease I was stunned. In my mind I had pictured people with Osteoporosis being hunched 90 year-olds with blu-ish hair. Not me! Now I have to decide my method of treatment - more calcium for sure, bumped up to 1,200 milligrams from the 900 I was taking. Weight bearing exercise. And a medication to be determined - by what my insurance company agrees to. (yeah - they are the experts..). I'm hoping to do the twice yearly shots. Sheryl says perhaps these things could even build up my bones. Fingers crossed. I'm glad I found out and am treating this issue. I will continue to be careful about falls.

Next came the Tuesday election. I'm still coming to terms with the result. I always knew it could happen. I'm weary. I'm so very tired of playing defense - the constant anger, obstruction and criticism directed toward the current administration. In some ways this will be a relief.

I remember eight years ago. Many Americans woke up feeling like I do now - in reverse. I vow to not act like some of them have towards Obama - so very disrespectful, in fact downright hateful. This president-elect is testing me to my limits due to things he has done and said in his past. I appreciated his first speech. I hope he means it.

Here are a few a my fears:
  • For the environment - are we going to go back to the 1970's where businesses and anyone could pollute the air, land and water however they wish to? Or have businesses learned that they must be good stewards of this world?
  • Women's rights when it comes to their own bodies. Would outlawing legal abortion drive it underground as it was before it was legal? Will legislation allow women to die, sparing the fetus? If so, what happens to the children left behind? Why would fetuses have more rights than women?
  • For minorities and immigrants. I know that most of the people who voted for the president-elect are not racists, but this election has elevated racist acts. There are those who don't blame Trump - they blame the media. Or Obama. No matter where this new boldness by racists is coming from - telling those of color to "go back to where they came from", We The People need to put an end to it. We cannot allow students to chant "Build A Wall". We need to speak up! It is learned behavior, and must be dealt with. This must be condemned from the top on down.  
  • Health insurance - Republicans have campaigned on repeal and replace for many years, but nobody seems to really know what this means. Will 20 million be kicked off insurance plans? Will those like my cousin with a pre-existing condition still be able to get insurance?
  • My niece plans to marry her partner Jill in Colorado next year. Will their marriage be threatened by this election? Will businesses continue to stand up against discrimination against LGBT?
That's enough for now. I'm trying. I want this country to succeed. I will try not to encourage posts comparing the new first lady past ones. That was very unfair to Michelle Obama and would be unfair now.

If a member of congress yells out "Liar" during a State of the Union Address, I will condemn him/her. There has been too much of that these past eight years. It has hurt. Decorum has suffered and the president deserves a level of respect that Obama never received from many in the country. Now those same people demand it for Trump. I will give it to him because of the office.

I traveled to Zearing yesterday for work. Rural Iowa voted for Trump. They are suffering. Their world has changed and the past eight years has not helped them. In my view life will never be the same in small town Iowa, but people will adapt. They are good people out there. I always see something cool in the towns we visit. Check out this sign.
A local soda pop bottled in Marshalltown back in the day




1 comment:

Geneda said...

You are so very good at this Leslie. I applaud you for being a better person than me. I am still miffed at the people who put down Obama for 8 years and are now telling us to shut up after only 1 day. I have grave fears of what Trump will do because of what he is like. But you expressed it very well. Hope your health improves soon��