Friday, November 25, 2016

RIP Mrs. Brady

My mother let us watch a lot of television. Except the Brady Bunch. That show was banned from the two Bullock TVs - a Zenith console, color and a smaller black and white set downstairs - set on one of those metal racks.

Why, of all shows did Mom ban this one? She disdained how unlike real life the show portrayed American families. I think there was mumbling about how it "made her teeth rot". Too sweet. Thus the poor Bullock girls had to resort to catching glimpses of the popular show at neighbor's homes. Betso remembers popping next door to the Reinertsons to see it.  Rosemarie evidently was not taking a stand on the Bradys.

As the years went by, Mom slacked off in her edict. We watched re-runs and didn't even think of comparing that family to ours. By then I was older and was able to watch with a jaded eye. Some of the kids had gotten into "trouble" in real life by then. Aha! Mom was right. Marsha, Marsha, Marsha. The housekeeper, Alice, was my favorite character. I'm sure Mom would have loved to have a live-in Alice around too - to help with the toil of raising four girls.

RIP to Florence Henderson, aka Mrs. Brady - another icon from the 1970's gone.

Another Thanksgiving is in the past, but giving thanks is not. This year has had many ups and a few downs. When things aren't going so well, I only need think of all of you - my family and friends. I feel the warm puppy by my side as I write this. I call Odie a pup, but is soon to be 12. She's really an old broad with a gray muzzle. She helps enrich my days. It's the little things.
Some of the Goldsmith clan celebrated Thanksgiving with us. Paul is the turkey master. I appreciate everyone pitching by bringing something! I loved getting out the special family china. It brings back memories from many meals through the decades. The gravy boat is my favorite piece.

The platter is stored in a back closet - huge enough for a whole hog. I believe the set is the combination of two grandparent's sets. It's fragile and lovely. No dishwasher for this stuff....

Carol had to break it to us that our antique baster circa 1970, thanks to Zora Bullock) was shot - no suck left.


Foxes and Archers - can't believe Mandy is a HS senior!
A great team,  Carol and Paul - uniting for gravy

The best part about hosting a meal? Leftovers! I had pie for breakfast. Next we get so celebrate Christmas with our children (that now includes their spouses and "to-be spouses" in Colorado. We'll see Aunt Marty, Lamm cousins and my sis and nephew. Maybe even Jordan and Jill! What a way to finish up the year. I hope your tummies are full and you had some "Brady" moments yesterday. Or not...






No comments: