Friday, July 1, 2016

My other favorite holiday!

I complain about my workplace often. The Wallace Building is a boondoggle that the state is allowing to slowly circle the drain. Nobody knows whether it will be demolished, updated or just used into oblivion. Rodents, the non-working elevators, grimy carpet, lack of privacy and meeting space and the sick building rumors that won't go away. There is plenty of fodder.

I've worked in worse buildings in my varied career, including a dumpy underground office on the edge of the Old Market in Omaha and a tiny windowless office above the meal-site in Creston City Hall (insert food smells and Bingo calls). My biggest frustration in the Wallace building is the lack of a plan and little control regarding the future. The workers are in limbo, marching up and down the stairs (if they are able), crossing fingers and using the creaky elevators if they must. Last week a toilet overflowed and janitorial staff used a buffer to polish the runoff into the carpet. Then they turned on fans. What? Evidently DAS doesn't have a ShopVac...

This week I'm flipping the mindset - thinking and writing about what I love about working in the Wallace Building.

It's the diversity! I've never enjoyed a group of people more. Though I dislike putting labels on people - in order to give the reader an idea of what I'm talking about:
  • All different religions are represented - and likely some atheists. Plus people like me who aren't quite sure what they are. I haven't been frightened by one Muslim.
  • Young and old - though the latter seem to be retiring and are not really being replaced.
  • Many nationalities, cultures and races walk the aisles in between cubicles. I enjoy hearing the accents and seeing the diverse beautiful skin tones.
  • People with disabilities are employed at DNR. I applaud the folks who must have to make such an effort to just reach their desk each day due to the unfriendly access the building presents.
  • Openly gay people (and maybe some who don't care to discuss their sexuality) represented. I'm glad to count some as my friends. There are also single people, young families, empty nesters - people in all stages of life. I still have a hard time realizing that I'm in the "oldster" era of employment.
  • People who dress up and others who wear shorts and flip flops. (Me - I kinda split the difference). One guy walks around in his socks or barefoot. Dude - see the note about the toilet water buffing above!
  • Serious nerdlike dudes and dudettes that are all business and people like me who like to spice things up by being a bit sarcastic at times and funny at times. We all do the business of the State of Iowa.

There is more but you get the idea. It's like a very small (run down) city.

I love it! And it reminds me of America and why I love it. Tonight starts the beginning of the 4th of July celebrations for the greatest country in the world.

Paul and I are attending Yankee Doodle Pops - music and fireworks! It's a beautiful summer day. We'll be there in the shadow of the Wallace Building, among a diverse group of thousands. Yippy!
Crews begin setting up for Yankee Doodle Pops Wednesday


 


No comments: