Saturday, June 25, 2016

tiptoeing in my flipflops

Do you ever have that feeling that things are just going so well that, ummm something is bound to go wrong? Does that make me a pessimist, a glass half empty gal? I don't want to feel like this. I want to just ride the wave, not looking ahead, borrowing trouble. Dumb Leslie - ride the happy wave.

Things to consider:

My life isn't perfect.
  • I'm not filthy rich, allowing financial security for me and my family for forever. 
  • I'm aging and have issues that accompany that. 
  • Work is stressful. I know - it's recycling, not rocket science or life and death heart surgery. Still, I put my heart and soul into it - which leads to some sleepless nights and angst.
  • I haven't taken time to make new friends in DSM.
  • Our children have found their mates, but still have many life steps to maneuver. How will they ever do it? There is war, infection and other bad stuff in our world (reference: state of the world/politics/ugh).

But things are pretty great right now.
  • Even though we're not rich, we have plenty and we have each other.
  • Paul and I are both pretty darn healthy and can do the things we want to.
  • I love my work, despite and maybe because of the stress.
  • Our friends and families are such an important part of my joy.
  • It's so cool that Amy and Jud are now on life's journey with partners that we love (bonus!). Part of our job as parents was to prepare them to deal with life's roller coaster. We're not responsible to hold their hands through all of the above referenced things, even though I won't stop fretting about it...

Life is a journey - full of bends, twists, ups and downs. Right now, on the roller coaster of life, I'd say I'm on that wonderful ride - not a heart-stopping plummet, but enjoyable all the same without the terror/fun.

I'm so very grateful and aware.

Just like my mother before me, I've dropped out of attending church. I don't wish to get into it here - #toocomplicated.

I am a spiritual person and believe in a higher power. I am fascinated by how American Indians treat spirituality. It's amazing that at age 58 I'm still searching for answers, but I'll never stop. When I was young I thought people my age were grownups and had all the answers. Now I know this isn't true!

In the meantime, I'll keep blogging, boring you with the details of my life - as I tiptoe along. Hope I don't trip in my flipflops.
fam pic at Jud's wedding

We attended the DSM Art Festival Friday night. It's one of the best Art Festivals in the country according to the artist we purchased a photo from. Whilst there we ran into Sandy Travis (Atlantic) and John and Lois Rose (Creston). It was hot and fun - we walked and sipped a craft beer.
art? or landfill fodder
Nitefall on the River after visit to the Art Festival (and a martini)

Later that night we met a nice family listening to a few songs (see the band Michael Franti and Spearhead) playing at Nitefall on the River. There was another band playing at the Brenton Plaza. Lots of entertainment in DSM that night!

The family we met has two young kids and the 4 year old son was chasing bubbles as we talked. The dad explained his work installing electric into Habitat for Humanity homes in the city - some 20 homes last year. Very interesting. I love this town! #iowanice

1 comment: