Sunday, June 12, 2016

Kid's Day!

Facebook tells me it's "Happy Children's Day" today. That brings back a rush of memories from good old Atlantic, Iowa. Back in the 1960's the town would bring a carnival in each June, closing off the downtown for "Kid's Day". It was marvelous - like a tiny state fair midway right in my home town.

Mom would take us downtown and buy us tickets for the wonderful, heart thumping rides. The Scrambler, the Octopus, Ferris Wheel, mini roller coaster and - yes, The Hammer - where you would actually go upside down. No doubt most of these have been outlawed by now, or at least insurance is too expensive for carnies to haul them around to Iowa towns. It's the end of an era.
Hammer

Once we had our tickets in hand, we were on our own - at least by age 10. The tiny temporary carnival world was my oyster. Not only could I use tickets for rides, they could be used to play games like toss the ring on the pop bottle. The prizes were so cool like fake swords and wicker finger cuffs. So - mostly crap! Plus cotton candy, ice cream, pop corn, hot dogs. All the bad, good stuff!

Once my little fellow kids and I had our fill, I'd walk up to my grandparent's house with all my new junk in all my bloated child glory. It was a good day - Kid's Day.
obviously not a summer picture - but me at around 10. Pay no attention to the Hawkeye banner
It's the 1 year anniversary of breaking my shoulder biking. It happened near our home on the sidewalk as I passed a woman walking and tried to go from the grass back onto the sidewalk - caught an edge, fell and heard a crunch as my shoulder hit first. Ouch.

I must admit I've had a bit of a hard time "getting back on the horse" when it comes to riding my bike around the neighborhood. The sidewalk edges - changing surfaces scare me!

This morning I decided to take an early morning ride in celebration. I'm back baby. I'm more careful - but life goes on and I want to keep riding for exercise and fun.
by the rugby fields - Jordan Creek Trail

No comments: