Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Oregon Cool

It was so cool in Oregon - literally, and the state just oozes groovy. It's cool. Especially when the Bullock girls hang out there. We arrived for a week's vacation earlier this month - our bi-annual family reunion. When we get together we don't plan a lot of activities, we just hang out in the cute little village in a house close to the beach.

My typical vacations aren't kick ass - scheduled with one activity after another. They are mostly relaxing once we do the travel thing. Flying was once an enjoyable endeavor. Not so much anymore. I do like the TSA Precheck authorization though! It's like having a magic ticket to get you through security. We snagged sister Cindo at the Denver stop.

Susi and Jim arrived at our cute little home away from home in Cannon Beach before we did. They'd driven up the coast from their daughter Leslie's - enjoying their visit with her little family, it was their grandson James' third birthday. Betsy and fam arrive about the same time we did. I love welcome hug time! That night we ordered pizzas and caught up with each other. It was a bit misty that night, but Paul and Cindo couldn't resist a short walk on the beach.


Sunday we took our first of many excellent beach walks. It was a bit chilly, but so gorgeous. I love the raw energy of Oregon coast. I heard the starfish are making a comeback, but didn't see any. We took a lot of steps throughout the week - and walked about 7 miles one day. Cindy was a relentless slave driver, but it's so good when you're walking and talking with your sisters.

Paul golfed one day with my brothers-in-law. I hung out with the girls including Betso's daughter Sarah and did lunch "downtown". On Wednesday, Susi, Jim and I trekked to a little town north called Astoria where my cousin Leslie has a condo with her husband Bob. I could sit and watch that view all day. We had a nice lunch and went to the top of the hill where I walked up seven flights of stairs.
cousin picture

Astoria tower
Every night we had great meals over at Betsy and Wayne's house, which was across the tennis court from ours - so convenient! Many nights we took over six champagne glasses so I could whip up lemondrop martinis for the group. Nephew Paul Kohan's girlfriend Christine has a Filipino background. She cooked up (deep fried) a delicacy called Lumpia. It was kind of like egg roll, very hot and yummy. We bonded over watching sports television and trivia. The Kohan kids were out and about more than usual - Pokémon Go will do that.

Spaghetti, burgers and chicken were all delish. One night we did the Smores on the beach thing. Betsy bought giant marshmallows this year - they were harder to get to medium well on the inside, but were gooey great. #stickyfingers . One night we stopped at Bolder's favorite bar in CB - Warren House. We didn't get to sit at the bar like he did, but we thought of him as we sipped our drinks.

Road warriors Susi and Jim took off on Friday to head back home to Colorado a two-day trip through Twin Falls, Idaho. Betsy, Cindy, Paul and I headed south to Jetty Marina at Rockaway Beach to rustle up some Dungeness Crab. Shirley fixed us right up.
They promised to steam 8 crabs for us and put them on ice for our return. From wine country. Yep, Oregon has vino! My trusty iPhone lead us to a winery about an inland hour from the coast. I'd made this trip with my girlfriends last August - they showed me the way. I do believe my sisters and Paul had begun to doubt me and my phone as we turned this way and that in rural hilly Oregon. I felt vindicated when we popped out at the top of a hill and there was a vineyard! Unfortunately a sign on the building said CLOSED. Oops.

iPhone went back to work and ten minutes later we were at the Shafer Winery talking to a nice young man who took over as head grape guy (but the scientific name) Wine Master? Anyway, he studied at U.C. Davis and his dad has just purchased the winery. We did a tasting and checked out the Christmas store - quite complete. Cindy bought a deviled egg ornament and Betso purchased a white wine. It was fun. There were many more wineries we could have visited, but Shirley and our crab awaited.

Cousin Leslie and Bob came down and we made that crab disappear along with the leftovers from previous nights. We nearly got rid of the Citron Vodka that Betsy bought 2 years prior. Something to shoot for in two years! I dislike saying goodbye to people, but I do like hugs - so there's that. And Amy is getting married next summer (August 5) so we should see everyone then if not before.

Cindy, Paul and I spent a night in another cool place Saturday - Portland at the classic Benson Hotel. We checked in and Paul and I dropped the rental car off, riding the rapid transit back. It's a pretty slick system. That night we ate at a Fish House overlooking a plaza with a fountain. I enjoyed watching kids play in the water while the people of Portland hung out. The lobster mashed potatoes I ate that night were to die for.

So long Oregon until next time!
crab

No comments: