Sunday, July 24, 2016

Getting along

When my family got together recently in Oregaon, we were a diverse group politically speaking.

It's interesting that four people (me and my sisters) can grow up in the same household - and because (despite) of nature and nurture, end up on different parts of the political scale. My parents were pretty staunch Republicans. I tell myself that was a different day and different party. I'm not sure just what Pat Bullock would think of what we have going on today - on both sides of the ticket. I wish I could have that discussion with her.

So - you're probably wondering, how did the Bullock family get along a whole week, living in close quarters without knockdown drag out shouting matches? I must admit - a presidential election year made it that much more challenging. During our vacation week we roomed with my brother-in-law who enjoys watching Fox News. A lot. I don't. Yet we survived!

Jim graciously agreed to not watch Fox 24/7. Instead we mostly watched sports (golf for him), Olympic trials and HGTV (for Cindo and me) during our time together. Jim thinks Joanna Gaines from Fixer Uppers is HOT. So that helped. Cindy, Paul and I like the Today Show, which Jim liked making fun of because they don't tackle much in the way of hard news. He did get in some Fox viewing - not to worry.

I enjoy talking about issues with my family. That is what helps me understand why they might support a candidate or party. For me, social and environmental issues are dear, but having worked in the environmental field, the realities can be difficult when it comes to costs/benefits. On vacation when I talked to family members about their jobs and views, it helps me work out where they are coming from. Susi works in the energy industry, Betsy's husband Wayne is a doc and Bets is an independent contractor. Cindy has worked in the HR field, dealing in employee issues and regulations. Jim had his own legal practice, and now, though retired, he continues to practice-  assisting other attorneys in their hometown. They are all parents and taxpayers and geography - where they live - also makes a difference. One thing our whole family can agree on - we are lucky to live in this country.

In chilly fresh Oregon, when the whole family got together at the Kohan rental house, we watched sports on television and politics didn't really come up much. We played trivia, talked about kids' careers, sports teams, decorating and laughed instead.

Back in DSM - Odie, me and plants. No politics
If our somewhat diverse (politically speaking) fam can continue to come together - and work out vacation dates, decide on meals, golf trips, how to budget and split up paying for things - then there is hope. Of course we are starting from a basis of love and mutal understanding so that helps. Get it together America - learn to work together again politicians.

No comments: