Friday, July 8, 2016

Off to CB

And that ain't Council Bluffs. Though Paul and I have a fond place in our hearts for Council Bluffs - the first place we lived as husband and wife. We lived in Sherwood Apartments on Littlejohn Circle right on Highway 6. There was a Friar Tuck Lane too. Shag carpet baby! Betsy even lived with us for a while.

This CB is a great deal farther west - Cannon Beach, Oregon. If you read my blog you know that I've been there before. The first time was in 2000. Dad was there with Pat2 and all of my cousins and Aunt and Uncles on both sides of my family were there. Even Mom's sister, Aunt Dorothy - who I hadn't seen in many years was there. I felt like she was the pope and I needed to "kiss the ring" or something. It was nice to see her - she looked so much like Mom. How I wished Mom was there!
2000 CB picture

Our children were 14 and 11. It was a memory-making time bonding with their cousins. First of all, we drove all the way there - stopping at Cindy's and Susi's to carpool. That was a long drive, even mixing and matching kids in two cars. I tortured my kids by listening to a 28 hour Clive Cussler book. They won't ever let me forget it!

My sister Betsy and husband Wayne get credit for
2000 CB pic - Bets and Jeanie look alike! Miss Dad and Uncle Bill
finding the quaint ocean town. They go their every year. We've made it a bi-annual sister event - to honor our parents. Plus we like each other! Betsy and family book the same house each year and Cindy, Susi and Jim and Pablo and I book a place. In past years our kids have made it out here - the last time was in 2012 for Amy and Jud and Kara. Jordan Alvillar was here that year too. That was also the last time that Bolder was with us.
Love this picture from 2012

Bolder never went to Marco with us - it wasn't his thing. But he loved Cannon Beach. He liked the local bars and searching for the best clam chowder. New England boy ya know. In 2012 Betso was turning 50, so Bolder was sure to bring his Pope hat so he could give her a special ceremony with flower petals and booze. It was funny. I like memories of Bolder in CB. We'll miss him.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Kohan fam - they're growing up! David was tiny in 2000, our first trip to CB. Now he's a high school grad who will be off to UW (Washington) this fall. Betsy says she knows how Mom felt when she (the last of 4 girls) went off to school. (Makes raise the roof sign). Bullocks are not ones to get weepy as their children go off to school. (well - maybe that first day, but then - woot, woot!) The rest of them have jobs and college so they will come and go during the week.

We'll also get to see my cousin Leslie and her husband Bob who have a place up the coast a bit in Astoria. The weather is supposed to be beautiful. If you like rain and 60 degrees! I'm packing layers! As long as I have my sissens, I'll be fine.


No comments: