Friday, July 3, 2015

Memories Broken and Independent

This isn't the first time I broke my arm. The story for the first time is much more interesting than a bike wreck. Wind up the way back machine - it was about 1961, and I was attending nursery school at Mrs. Luin's. All the cool kids were there!

Mrs. Luin would pick us up a couple days a week in her station wagon, and we'd sit in the back (loose - no seatbelts for we baby boomer kids) singing "Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch" as she took us to and fro. Her house/pre-school was located on the outskirts of Atlantic, just south of the cemetery. I recall snack time including graham crackers, Koolaid and sugar cubes. Healthy, no?

The basement of the house was a virtual smorgasbord of kid wonderland. Toys and blocks galore, sand box, water area and outside - even better! There was some type of train that went around the whole backyard. Inside there were several play areas including older style swing sets and a big slide.
I don't think it was quite this big...but to a 4 year-old...

The slide was my nemesis. It was during a play session of "boys chase girls" that I must have decided a quick jump off of the top of the slide was a good way to get ahead of a cootie filled boy who was coming up the ladder. I landed on my arm wrong and broke it. I think it was the left one - and not the shoulder. I recall having a cast on it. Beyond that, it's a foggy memory. I was only 4. Around that time my friend Robyn broke her foot (or was it her leg?) on the glider of the swingset too. I happened to be gliding with her. Is there a theme here? Can you imagine the uproar today if a pre-school had that safety record?

Yesterday I finally got into my stylist for a "broke shoulder" haircut. Yes please!

It's July 3rd - I'm off work celebrating the holiday a day early. I love Independence Day! I have since I was a kid growing up in small town Iowa during the best time to be a kid. My earliest memories are of taking blankets to the Atlantic Golf and Country Club for evening fireworks. Before dark they'd light "sonic booms" and we'd run back to the blanket and pounce on it like it was base. The fireworks would be set off down near the first green. By the time they were over, we were very sleepy and ready to be in bed.

Another memorable 4th of July was in 1976. Chris, Robyn, Trish and I went to Okoboji that week - celebrating our graduation from High School. It was my first big outing with pals - an exciting time that will always stand out as one set me on my way toward freedom and adulthood.

After college we (and 8-20 friends) spent over 10 years traveling to Wisconsin - first, as just out of college young-adults. Then as newlyweds and young parents. We stayed with our friend Mike's parents and family at their rustic farm just outside Ridgeland, Wisconsin. My dad would supply us with a big box of fireworks - purchased in Missouri as he and Mom traveled back from Florida in the spring. We would tube the Apple River, golf and eat Oscar Mayer foods. It was such fun and so relaxing. The small bars in the tiny towns are still something we talk about today!
Vic, Jane and me - Ridgeland 1980?

Once our own children got involved in activities in Creston, we began staying home for the 4th of July - and found out that town puts on a heck of a party! The parade (bloody marys at the Elks Club?), flea market, a street dance, stuff at McKinley Park and mostly - fabulous fireworks that take place in what became our front yard after we move to the west side of town in 1998. We'd invite folks over to watch the display each year. I loved it! Watching the goings on in the neighborhood - neighbors having barbecues, people driving and walking by. Such a fun day.

We've spent the past couple years here - attending Yankee Doodle Pops. I didn't want to face that in a sling this year! Tonight, friends are coming up and we're going to the Iowa Cubs game - and oh...there will be fireworks. Tomorrow - the rest of the gang will ride bikes. I'll likely read. I love it!




No comments: