Friday, July 24, 2015

Flee Fly Flow, We're the Class of '76

It's been a rough week, I can't lie. Oh, in the big scheme of things - it's nothing really. But I certainly didn't enjoy it. First of all, we need to replace our windshield for $500 due to that mysterious rock chip. Ugh!

Next, we've had fleas. Which made me think of that childhood song. "Flea Fly Flow" . It is much more fun singing that song than having fleas. I noticed Odie itching last Friday night - and spied one of the little bastards on her Saturday morning. We treat her monthly with expensive medicine - so I was not happy! After lots of thought, I decided the possums left them when the skeddadled.

I called the vet's office Saturday and they advised me to pick up a couple pills to kill adult fleas. Then I was to treat her with the monthly medicine the next day. We also purchased some spray for in the house and yard. We washed bedding, vacuumed and all the usual routine when one finds illicit visitors. On Monday I called Orkin and they treated the house that afternoon. None of this seemed to phase the evil biters.

Odie and I haven't slept well. She's been restless and itchy. I've been fretting and combing her frequently on the deck - producing dead and live critters. Even I have bites. I've poured over the Internet looking at options. I tried apple cider vinegar cut with water sprayed on her. I'm tempted to sprinkle diatomaceous earth around the yard. Paul think it sounds crazy. See...it's got me trying crazy stuff!

One week later I took her to the vet. Poor Odie isn't eating and neither of us can take much more of this! Dr. Merk prescribed an anti-itch medicine that is not a steroid. Plus she gave us a chewable flea med that kills fleas when they get on the dog - not after they bite the dog like her present med.

I hope this works. So does Odie!

The highlight of my week was a get-together with a group of my high school classmates - the decoration committee for our June 2016 reunion. We met at a restaurant in Ankeny. It's so funny how the years melt away when one sees old friends. Even though we didn't always go to the same school, Cindy, Dawn and I were in Catechism together most of the years. A bonding experience for sure! Jeanne, Cindy and Roger all went to Jackson school. And we all attended High School together - though Jeanne moved to Ames during our Junior year. I sure enjoyed seeing my homies!

We decided not to decorate but came up with some ideas for the Saturday night gathering at the Country Club - like nametags and a backdrop for photos. (Jeanne has suggested Zombie prom, but that sounded like too much effort for me...) On Friday night we typically do a picnic at Sunnyside Park with golf on Saturday. I'm in charge of looking into a walk or bike ride that morning too. Sounds like fun. Hope there aren't any bugs.

 

No comments: