Thursday, July 9, 2015

Smokin' - not hot

Everywhere I look, it seems like there are still smokers. I don't understand it. The awful health effects have been known for many years now. Unlike when my parents started smoking.
in Florida with the Kohan kids

Cigarettes killed my mother. She started smoking as a teenager and never found it in herself to quit. Dad smoked too - perhaps even more than Mom, but he quit cold turkey in the late 1980's when he had surgery on a bulging aorta.

In 1996, Mom got a cough that wouldn't go away and small cell lung cancer was discovered. She was dead by the next summer. I think she always thought she was too tough to die that way. She wasn't. It was a sad way to go. I miss her and wish she could have stuck around to see her grandchildren grow up and flourish.
Smoking is prevalent in some of the Netflix shows I watch. Mad Men is one set in the 1960's. I find it fascinating to see the cars and styles because that is my era after all. But the constant smoking makes it hard to watch. It hurts to see those people killing themselves like Mom did.

Paul and I also treat ourselves to the decadent and violent show Sons of Anarchy. It's set in modern day and nearly all of the characters smoke. Yes, they're biker dudes and chicks but haven't they heard of lung cancer? I find the smoking distasteful and irritating. Much more than all of the murder and mayhem. Just don't kill any animals! haha

On a side note, I visited my surgeon today and my shoulder has improved enough that I can ditch my sling!
  Physical therapy is next. It's still sore, but is improving every day. Yay!

No comments: