Sunday, July 5, 2015

Boom! Didn't make it to fireworks

Another successful Independence Day is in the books. I'm exhausted!

Our friends Bobbie and Jeff arrived Friday evening in time to eat at Legends at an outdoor table, prior to the Iowa Cubs game. The weather gets an A+ for the whole holiday. Perfection - much deserved after floodlike rains and below normal temps.

We sat above first base with our gazillion ounce beers with a crowd of over 13,000 people. The Cubs disappointed, frankly - scoring early, then fading. But the experience didn't. Bobbie and I chatted and participated in the whole fan experience - hooting and hollering. Jeff and Paul talked farming, while watching the game. With the last out, the lights were turned off and a barrage of fireworks treated the eyes, with piped in music.

It was over very quickly, and I must pay homage to the Creston Fireworks folks - nothing compares to their show in our eyes. But it was a great way to end the day. Too tired to party on Court Avenue, we retired to the Goldsmith deck for "just one more" before beddie bye. Still it was after midnight before I hit the sack. Pretty late for this old, injured girl.

Farmer's Market fun


The next day we were up fairly early, hitting the Farmer's Market by 7:30 a.m. Jeff wanted to try a breakfast treat other than our fave burritos, and I was game. I got a Bosnian cheese and something quiche like parcel. It was delish and only $3. The Brazilian Twin entertainers were there - I could have listened to them longer, but we were on a mission to bike, so we headed on. Jeff ended up with an egg roll and some type of pastry.

We headed home and loaded up the bikes. Jeff discovered he had a flat - with some issue that precluded fixing it as each tube flattened as well. We drove to the launch spot at Woodward - near the Whistlin Donkey bar. That was where Jeff and I hung out while Paul and Bobbie peddled to the High Trestle Bridge.

Paul and Bobbie at the trestle
In the meantime, Jeff and I made friends with a fun couple from Urbandale. My shoulder makes for a great conversation starter! Bob, the guy, has had 3 shoulder injuries from cycling. I plan on making this my only one...as I eyed cyclists riding in on bikes with 3 wheels. We hung out there all day, trading stories with Bob and his wife. Beer, wings and lunch were all good as we sat on the deck of the outdoor bar, under an umbrella. Perfect!

Paul talked Jeff into putting Bobbie's tire on his bike and taking the ride to the bridge - so off they went. Bobbie and I took a nap in the car as we awaited the wayward travelers, who decided they needed one more beer in the Quonset hut bar in Madrid. It's a good thing nobody wanted to carjack 2 old ladies sprawled out in a Subaru. Guess they were too busy doing healthy things like biking!

That is what I love about the sport - that I hope I can do again soon. As I observed from the WD deck, families came and went. There were couples - young and old. Some people had expensive equipment and others had bikes from the local hardware store. Everyone wore helmets. Biking is something that keeps people active and brings them together. Iowa should invest more in the infrastructure that helps Iowa's small towns and makes living in the state attractive to people.

Jeff had haying to do back in Creston. So about 6 p.m. they started their return trip home. He's probably out there right now making hay. Paul and I were in bed by 10 p.m. as neighbors shot off fireworks in the park across the street. Odie burrowed under the covers. It was a fun day. Thanks to all who make our freedom possible!

No comments: