Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine pressure and feeling the love

A media type dismissed the idea that school children should be "forced" to give Valentines to everyone in their class. See the story: Pity Valentine.

That story was linked in a Facebook post by former Creston News Advertiser publisher Arvid Huisman. In the post Arvid explained how he'd not been the most popular lad in school - picked last for athletic teams and he was teased for less than fashionable clothes. Arvid wrote about a Val Day tradition that I remember well - making a box for Valentines. His point was that he looked forward to Valentine's Day - knowing that he would be afforded cards from all - despite his lowly standing at the time.

At Washington Elementary in Atlantic, Iowa, we prepared for the big heart day by taking a proper container to school to use for a card collection bin. I suppose it was an "art" activity. One year I took a cardboard oatmeal canister. Then we spent art class time decorating the box/bin - paste, glue, colors - the whole bit. I believe there was a contest involved, but I'm sure I never won or it would most certainly be rising to the top of my memory bank. Back then people weren't so worried about bruising our little egos by not awarding everyone for competing - there were winners. The rest of us lost.
my Val boxes were never this clever...

Before the "Big Day" we'd head to downtown Atlantic (no Wal-Mart in those days) to Ben Franklin, Bonnesen's 5 & 10 or Woolworth's to purchase Valentines for the class and teacher (she'd get the big one). Maybe Rex Pharmacy even sold a few. We'd also purchase candy to affix to each small card. What would it be? Gum, Smarties, Lifesavers? Candy companies were just getting wise about marketing small size packages for this special day.

Every child in class would get one. That was important! Make no mistake - I spent a little time making sure my favorite cards went to my fave people. I sure didn't want to give the wrong idea to some stinky boy in class. My fave peeps needed to get the "best" stuff. Sally, Robyn, Paula, Chris D., Candice, Theresa - I'm sure they got the good stuff!

I have a feeling teachers stepped in to supply cards/candy and containers for those children who weren't able to bring them from home. I was so oblivious then  and didn't worry much about not getting Valentines, nor about those other children that I recall. How many kids in our class were worried about such things? I'm sure there were a few whose parents could afford to, or didn't choose to participate in such things. How nice for me that I didn't have to even think of it. My own safe little world.

Yes it was safe in Leslie Land - through about 4th grade anyway, before I knew much about the difference between girls and boys. This was also before girls began truly began maneuvering to attract boys. (Again I was clueless). It happens much earlier these days. Much to my chagrin, some of the parents encourage it. What - you don't have your own lives? Your kid will have time to grow up...in the meantime, why don't you.

Back to me. This story does have a fabulous ending. In the end, after I grew up, I found my lucky Valentine! I went to the Chocolate Storybook today to buy him chocolates and caramels - his fave.
The elves at CS wear hats that look like boxes of chocolates!
Last night (finishing this blog Saturday a.m.) my Val and I went on a date to John and Nick's Steakhouse. There was a bit of a wait. We weren't the only ones with that idea! We spent an hour sitting at the bar. It's a newer place that is based on an old fashioned family formula - good menu, giant salad bar and leather booths.

We each had a martini - dirty and delish. We ended up sitting by an older couple and their son - Cyclone fans originally from the Westside, Iowa in the Carroll area. They now live in WDM - I think the folks do too, after managing a dairy farm and bringing up six boys who attended Kuemper, the Catholic School in Carroll. Our Creston Panthers competed against them and we enjoyed talking about that and all things ISU. The son texted his Dowling frosh daughter who knows our great niece Mandy. Small world. Finally, the restaurant called our name - our turn to eat and the prime rib was fab. I have left overs for later. Grand evening with my honey.

This morning we awoke to a beautiful sunrise on our way to "you know where" (Waveland) for breakfast. Steely Dan's Aja album played while we ate - more good memories from our misspent youth.

While awaiting the big events in life, sometimes I neglect the joy that little things like that can bring. As I grow older, I'm doing better though.

I have many Valentines in my life - my main man, our children, family and friends. I heart all of you!

No comments: