Monday, February 24, 2014

Quite a character

In my last blog I talked about a priest - and character, Father Kiernan. It made me ponder the characters I've known in my life. There have been a few.

Atlantic, Iowa had its share of characters. The first who comes to mind is Fantastic Faye Erickson. He was a learning disabled man adopted by pretty much the whole town. Faye rode his bike all over - he named it "Silver". You'd see him at Sunnyside Pool in the summer months - just hanging out in long pants and a button down shirt. It would be buttoned up all the way, and his hair would be combed nicely.

He must have lived north of town - I think the Pellett family kept an eye on him after his family passed on. An Atlantic-ite on Facebook who attended Pymosa School (the country school North on Olive Street that eventually closed up), said Faye would drop by there almost every day and all the teachers were nice to him, except one. I wonder what her problem was?

Faye liked to play his guitar - and he wasn't half bad. He wasn't really half good either, but we gave him an "A" for effort. He'd sing, "You Are My Sunshine" and we invited him to some of our school dances because we liked his rousing rendition of "Roll Out the Barrel". When he forgot the words he'd just sing Roll out the barrel, nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh. Works for me! Everyone would sing along. He'd say, "I gotta keep my figure for the girls." When Faye passed away in 1999 I was surprised to see that he was six years older than my dad. Faye was quite a guy.
why did peanuts taste better out of these machines?

Another Atlantic character was my former boss Harry Hjortshoj. For those of you not from Atlantic, it's pronounced something like this: Hyortsoy. Harry ran the service station our family frequented - remember when you purchased gas at the same place you bought tires and had your car worked on? When I was little, I remember Dad buying me peanuts out of one of those coin machines and Harry lifting me on the hoist. Always an adventure at Harry's station!

When I turned 16 it was time to get a job. Cindy had detasseled corn, but with my allergies, that was out for me. Dad had asked Harry if he ever needed any help and I don't think he really did, but he put me to work a few hours a week. I loved that guy - one of the nicest men ever! And ornery - oooheeeh.  (My Johnny Orr impression). My duties at Hjortshoj Fina:
  • Keep the books - from all the gas charge slips from the day before. This was before many people used charge cards locally.
  • Pump gas - it was hard because the Ethel (yes there was such a thing) actually ran up at half of what it really was because that pump didn't go high enough $. One time a lady wanted $5 worth and I forgot so she really got $10. Crap!
  • Go get donuts (this happened almost daily because old men like my Grandpa would stop for coffee there). I learned to love warm just off the press cake donuts.
  • Run for parts - to Napa, Deter Cheverolet, wherever I needed to
  • Go with Harry to pick up a car for service. This was an adventure because Harry had tire strips on the bumper of his old truck and he'd bump into the car I was driving at stop signs. Then he'd wave at me. Knucklehead!
  • Fill the pop machine up - back when they had glass bottles in them. I was surprised to see Harry kept a couple beers in the bottom for later in the afternoon.
I learned Harry's signature jokes and came to relish hearing them. He had a peculiar nasal voice and intense rheumy eyes. I can just picture him - when I was on my way to shop in the big city of Omaha he'd say "Don't get your tonsils sunburned". (Looking up at the tall buildings with my mouth gaping open).

When someone wanted air in their tires he'd say, "We've got a special today, colored air." You could just see them thinking it over...is that possible? He'd just smile. While he'd pump their gas he'd always wipe their windshield with an oily rag.

If all businessmen were as honorable and kind as Harry, the world would be a better place. I am lucky to have started my career there.

Characters make our lives richer. Anybody can be ordinary. I'm hoping to get more wacky as I grow up so people tell stories about me some day. Oh maybe they already do...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Harry was my step grandpa. He was very loved and oh such a character :) Stacia-Prall Taylor