Saturday, February 1, 2014

Dancing update, boy here

Our dancing FAIL continues - but hey, that's why we're taking lessons. Too bad they didn't offer remedial lessons though. We're moving too fast - and I don't mean our dance moves. We really should stay on each type of dance longer. We're not bad at the regular Fox Trot by now, but anything fancy added on? Iffy at best.

Then we started Swing at the end of class two Thursdays ago. Finally - something we understand! Right. The basic step is easy - it's when you start swinging around that the difficulty increases. The guy has to "start" the moves. Paul seems to be a slow starter, according to our instructor.

We both wore better dancing shoes (soles that don't stick) this week - so we didn't have the "bad shoes" excuse to fall back on for our lack of smoothness. We didn't practice dancing at home though. Bad us. We had planned to practice Wednesday night, but my partner got a better deal - he got together with work buddies who were in town for training. I couldn't fault him for wanting to have time with his pals...poor planning on our part.

I admit it ever since we married I have tried to lead when we have danced. So learning to allow Paul to lead has been difficult. The pressure is all on him now as he's got to decide all the extra moves. It's like that exercise where I am supposed to close my eyes and fall back into other people's awaiting arms. It's all about trust! Sometimes I still anticipate moves when he hasn't started them.
This isn't us...

Of course I trust Paul - but I'm a control freak. (Give it up Leslie...) We need to practice so he is comfortable making his moves earlier - so they become routine. So I know what the heck is coming. Cuddle, left turn, his spin? There are so many options! And we've only just begun. Next week? We'll finish up swing (insert sadness - I would like to do more of this Swing stuff) and start several weeks of the waltz.  

Dancing together has been fun. We've laughed a lot - even though it's been frustrating at times, and I've been irritated. At him and at myself. Gee - it's been kinda like marriage!

When we're dancing I've looked into Paul's face and eyes more than I have in a long time. He's cute! I have enjoyed seeing his many expressions.

There are many distractions in this world. So even when we are dining together at restaurants or eating together here - we don't tend to do that for long stretches.

Dancing isn't all about the dance...
My honey and me
Jud arrived yesterday - a bit under the weather, poor boy. He may have a touch of a stomach bug. After his birthday celebration with his girl Kara Thursday, he didn't sleep well that night and - well you know how it is when you have digestive issues. I will spare you the details.

He's not really having any other symptoms - perhaps a slight headache last night, after he arrived at our place. But he wasn't up for going out for supper. Bummer. Chicken noodle soup out of a can for his birthday meal. Woo hoo. I am making 5-Hour Oven Stew for tonight - one of his favorite meals. Paul and Jud are attending the ISU vs. Oklahoma game together - a little guy time.

This morning - his initial voyage on the good ship Waveland Café. I know. Paul and I are obsessed. Call it our little piece of small town Des Moines that we like to share with others.

The guys had a great time at the game. They took time to snap a "selfie" on their way in - texted it to Amy and me, saying they were at the Mecca.
The oven stew came out great - and we spent the evening gorging ourselves on basketball on TV. Jud stayed today through halftime of the Superbowl game - which was quite a letdown after all the week of hype. Even the commercials were not all that great.

It was fun to have Jud at home. We picked up some wings at Jethro's and put some Little Smokies in the crock pot. This time of year it's just a good time to hang out in the house - though we did venture over to Jordan Creek for a little while.

We made it through January - one step closer to spring!

No comments: