Saturday, May 4, 2013

Week of 2 seasons

Paul took this cool photo on his way to work Friday morning. Who knew my guy had an inner photo artsy guy inside that gruff deer killer exterior?
New mural at Metro Waste Authority (E. 3rd and Locust)

Yep, snow. A sharp contrast to the pics I took earlier in the week when I was biking, and it was near 80 degrees.
The bridge on the bike trail near our house - Monday, April 29
Tuesday Paul and I rode to Bike World to pick up a few more accessories for the biking season.
Paul with Albie and his bike (un-named) outside Bike World
Wednesday was when the weather took a turn. It was the day we got to see my old friend (from afar) Gordon Lightfoot, in concert. We went home a little early so Odie could have some "us" time before we left again. I knew if rain/snow hit, she wouldn't be going outside much in the next few days.

We decided to try out a new restaurant downtown - Americana for a drink and appetizers.
 
We still had some time before door opened at the venue - the historic Hoyt Sherman Auditorium, near Methodist Hospital. Hoyt Sherman So we dropped by our fave, the Standard. I had one of their dessert martinis. Yum! 

By now the temp had dropped a lot - the winds were swirling. We were lucky to find a parking spot right on the block with Hoyt Sherman. Inside, volunteers showed us where our seats would be, and told us we could look around the art gallery attached. Paul took my pic with the beautiful young woman.
I wanted to see just what she was looking at...
They had wine and beer for sale, but we didn't partake. We found our seats and watched the auditorium fill up. The seats are small - built for 1900's people. By the time the show started, the place was full.

Right on time Gordie and 4 musicians entered. Sentimental old woman that I am, I got choked up when he played some of my favorites from the Gord's Gold double album. Yes, his voice is not strong. He may have fumbled through some of the lyrics - the guy is 75 years old! And his songs tell a story - they don't consist of a few lines repeated over and over. Right before the break, they sang "Sundown".
During the break, I got together with my longtime pal Roger Underwood. Paul had spotted him before the show started, and I'd texted him. We snapped this photo.
AHS Class of '76, Roger asked if I was surprised to see a Repub at the concert. I said, heck - I was a Repub when I started listening to Gordon Lightfoot!
 Gordon even did a costume change during the break - bless his heart! I had asked Roger if Gordon had on Roger's FFA jacket during the first set. (I know...always the smart ass). Finally he did "If You Could Read My Mind" The first and second verses go like this - I especially the second because of the book references:

If you could read my mind, love,
What a tale my thoughts could tell.
Just like an old time movie,
'Bout a ghost from a wishing well.
In a castle dark or a fortress strong,
With chains upon my feet.
You know that ghost is me.
And I will never be set free
As long as I'm a ghost that you can't see.
                                       
If I could read your mind, love,
What a tale your thoughts could tell.
Just like a paperback novel,
The kind the drugstores sell.
Then you reached the part where the heartaches come,
The hero would be me.
But heroes often fail,
And you won't read that book again
Because the ending's just too hard to take!
The background lighting was cool
This concert was unlike any other I have been to. People didn't dance, and hoot and holler much. The other band members were very stoic. The crowd was very polite - though I think there were a few drunks in the group. I'm glad we went - he's a musician for the ages.

By Thursday morning the snow was flying, but it wasn't yet sticking. Much - until Thursday night and Friday morning. It was in the 30s. In May!

No comments: