Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My tiny hair

Who remembers La Petite hair salon in Atlantic? Does the name mean "the little" in French? I'm just guessing...because of my petite knowledge of French...I wonder how a hair salon came to have that name? Did the owner think it sounded fancy?

I remember getting my hair cut there, surrounded by the ladies getting their hair done. Cut 'n curl ya know. Back in the day some ladies would get their hair done weekly! Another Chestnut Street hair salon was the Powder Puff. Remember what powder puffs smell like? I got a couple of those powder puff sets for my birthday when I was 10 or 12.

I don't know why I thought of those places this week. But that's how I roll.

Perhaps it's my date tomorrow night - with Gordon Lightfoot. I began my romance with the folk singer in the early 70s. I remember learning the Spanish version of "If You Could Read My Mind" in Senior Seufert's Espanol class. Oh how I loved it! So much that I would sing it to myself riding my horse Jack on the dirt road near Guttenfelder's place behind HyVee in Atlantic.

Eventually I purchased Gordie's albums, followed by, years later - his double CD.
Did She Mention My Name
Sundown
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Get Out Old Dan's Records
Don Quixote

My fave is If You Could Read My Mind though - English version. One of my all time fave songs - played at our wedding (instrumental only - thanks Jean Fox and Pat McCauley on violin).

I enjoy Gordie's songs - they tell stories, are ballads. I'm looking forward to seeing him.

My sis Betsy saw him a couple years ago. She said he looks like Skeletor - skinny and skeleton like. I just hope he sounds okay at age 74. Deb saw Willie Nelson last year and said he didn't sound good at all. Go Gordie!

 I've been enjoying riding Albie (formerly known as Whitie - I love her) my bike. Yesterday I rode to 50th Street, to check out how long it takes to get to Saints bar. They have a patio right on the trail.
We may have to check this out for real soon...
There are a few bridges like these
 
Later that night I walked back along EP True to pick up litter along the walking/biking trail. I used to pick up litter all the time, as the manager of a solid waste facility. I can't drive or walk by it time and time again without doing something about it. I figure I'll just chip away at this little section over the next few weeks. Today more already blew in!
My task - mostly plastic/paper. One vodka bottle. A gallon water jug.
The people walking by and riding bikes on the path look at me with my black litter bag. I got the impression that most of them wondered if I had done some petty crime to deserve this "sentence". One nice woman asked me what I was up to as I walked back, bag in hand. When I explained, she thanked me!

Too bad rain and snow is expected in the next couple days...biking and litter picking is out. Oh well - spring will come again.

No comments: