Saturday, April 20, 2013

Shellfish

I'm a selfish old broad. I didn't realize how much I'd enjoy this "Big Sis" thing until I got matched with a little Sis - Chiya. She has no idea! And I've only been in the program a few weeks so far. Yeah, I know there are bound to be some bumps along the way. Kids (and their adults) are like that. Mine (and I) were. But it's so fun to have a little buddy to think about again!

On my trip to Florida I texted a photo of my favorite view (off the deck at our Marco Island condo) to Chiya one day. Just so she knew where I was. It's fun to text her periodically - and she texts me too, to see how my week is going.

This year was exceptionally good for shelling in sunny Florida. It's been a while since I paid much attention to shells. Mom was a big sheller. She had a book and would look up what they were. I believe Cindo has it now. But I have all the shells I need!
Amy and Jud's first Marco trip

When the kids were young and we would visit Marco Island, Mom and Dad were on a mission. They would help Amy and Jud find a shell for each of their pre-school classmates. Then we would write each of their names on a shell with a sharpie and seal it with special spray. Then we'd put the shells on the deck to dry. The kids were so proud to give each mate a shell upon their return. It was a fun project for the kids and grandparents.

I decided it would be fun to bring home some shells for Chiya from this trip. Each day the ocean gods deposited gobs of them on the beach for our pleasure. A few still had little creatures in them...I was careful not to take those! So during our walks I spent some time looking down for treasures.

One day during our beach walk, I lagged behind my best buddies Paul and Cindo to take some photos and to just take in the beauty of the beach. Sometimes when we power walk I forget to do that. I gazed down at the piles of shells, and thought about how they are so similar to people. Some were beautiful and complete, others broken down. There were large groups piled together and others were all by themselves - loners. Some - broken, yes, were still beautiful. I picked up certain shells that looked perfect, only to find out they were flawed. Yes...shells can be compared to humans. (And some have scary creatures inside - ick!)

I hope Chiya likes the shells I selected for her. And the birding book I got her at a book sale for $.50. If not - oh well! She can give them away. Perhaps just the idea that someone was thinking of her will be enough. It is for me!

No comments: