Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Being Present

Have you tried Yoga or other types of exercise that require you to be "present" while you work up a sweat?

Action sports/team sports require more constant participation - so it's easier to pay attention to them. For example, when I learned to play the game of basketball in the 1970's Coach Allen taught us "plays". Mind blown! Who knew that it wasn't just about dribbling and making shots. The pick and roll even worked when players were limited to two dribbles - see articles about Iowa's Six on Six game played in the state until the early 1990s. Okay, as an outfielder in softball I may have had a few non-ball thoughts like, "what should Mona (Jones), Kristi (Davis), and I do tonight after the game?" So many decisions scooping the loops in Kristi's ancient Chevy - shifter on the column. Pizza Hut, Lally's, A&W. 

Fast forward (and it was fast), 46 years. When I attend water exercise three days a week, while I run through the exercises - stretches and aerobic routines, I feel like I have Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). My mind wanders constantly! I am trying to change that.

It's not just while exercising either. Somewhere along the line, I started living less in the moment. 😕I particularly notice this during water classes and when I do yoga. Yoga classes can intimidate - especially when one is 62 years old with bad shoulders. So I work with my personal yogi Adriene from Austin. She's on my personal computer. When my downward dog collapses, she never freaks out.

I am trying to train my mind by fetching it back to the exercise at hand calling (internally) "Here, Here, Here". (I hope I'm not saying it out loud) haha.

Monday I found myself thinking about packing for my next trip (Thursday - Florida with my homegirls, reviewing my week's schedule, thinking about our children, and my funny Valentine - you get it. Distracto!)

So when the lap swimming guy goes by behind me - splashing me every 30 seconds, I must focus on jumping jacks, leapfrog and skiing - to the best of my ability! I need to get my heart rate up and concentrate on resistance to reduce flab. I don't want that underarm flab to paddle me away.

Past Homegirl gathering - 2018 Key West.



Paul with our kids Christmas 2018 - they're all doing fine. 
Even when exercising - Every Moment Matters! Be there! 



No comments: