Sunday, November 5, 2017

I'm 60!

So just deal with it. Okay, that's me talking to myself.

I must admit I've had a bit of trepidation about this turning 60 thing. I knocked out 30 like nothing, really. My friends put a pretend casket on my porch when I turned 40. I laughed. When I turned 50, I partied with friends at an ISU football game. It was the last time my beloved Cyclones put a beating on Kansas State. We had a fun day - my buddy Jeff McFee (1 whole day older) was there with me. Let's hope we get KSU this year.
Exercise winners - creative leaders

It was a busy work week - so I didn't have much time to dwell on the upcoming birthday this year. Poor planning for my birthfest week to schedule 2 workshops and an on-site training date. Somehow, I survived. The events all went well. Seeing all the Environmental Management System program participants reminds me why I appreciate them so much. They are passionate about what they do.

DNR's Michelle Wilson did a great job providing leadership training. We all could use a brush-up in that area. It is so much about interpersonal communications and personality types. And who can resist an exercise that involves spaghetti noodles, string, tape and a marshmallow? Shelly Codner, who was not able to attend the meeting, arranged for a co-worker to deliver a bday cake. How nice was that?

By Friday, I was toast. Ready to be "off duty". A few weeks ago, I purchased tickets to "The Color Purple" musical for Friday night. You see, in early October, Paul had asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday weekend, and I started to get worried that he was going to wing it. I'd end up at the Cheesecake Factory (which I love, by the way) for my birthday meal. So I made sure we would do at least something fun and bought tix.

That evening, we snuck into a place at the bar at the Stuffed Olive for a martini and a bite to eat. The place was hopping. Crestonian Nancy Anthony was there with her crew - pre-gaming for the show. It was fun to see her. The musical was excellent - especially the vocals. When we walked in the door to our place about 10 p.m. we had a problem. Intruders! I was shocked to find my lovely children and spouses had snuck in to surprise me for my birthday. Birthday balloons, flowers, and hugs all around. What a lucky girl (or mature 60-year-old) I am! It seems those plotters had been planning this a while - and had fun on Friday prancing around DSM hiding from me. Too funny.

I was so delighted to wake up Saturday morning knowing my kids were all under my roof. Smile. Paul had a plan to do something special - so after breakfast, we loaded up in the car and were off to downtown DSM. That guy - I am so impressed that he pulled off this event. The bar is set high for his 60th - just 4 months from now. The pressure is on.
Ready for the tour
Ceiling view
looking down
door hinge

We arrived at the beautiful gold-domed Iowa State Capitol for a tour. While I've been in the building many times, I've never had the official tour. A group of about 12 of us assembled at 10:30 a.m. and our guide did it right. I have such an appreciation for the place - filled with so many works of art and craftsmanship. I hope those who work there hold their jobs dear to them. The tour was followed by a swing by some other statues on the Capitol grounds, a trip to our fave store Raygun and a stop at Confluence Brewery. We made it back to our place in time for the start of the ISU football game. Too bad the Cyclones didn't come out on top this game, but Corey's Clemson Tigers won.
Shots were not lucky for the Cyclones - but were for me!

That night we sampled the fare at the 801 Chophouse in the Principal Building. I split the lamb chops and scallops with Amy. The lobster mashed potatoes are so yummy too. For my bday, the restaurant supplied gooey chocolate lava cake. Sitting at the table with Paul by my side, surrounded by our children and their wonderful spouses - life was looking pretty darn good at 60. Cheers!

popcorn friends

No comments: