Friday, November 10, 2017

Get A Clue

Oh that hair...a lifelong struggle

It was reported recently that the game of Clue finally made the National Toy Hall of Fame. The game was joined by Wiffle Ball and none other than paper airplanes.

Clue has a special place in my heart. Sure, I played the game with friends throughout my childhood. But the game also had a key role in a vacation my sis Betsy and I took with my parents when I was around 14 years old (making Bets about 9).

Thinking back, our family didn't take many trips together. There were the lake trips - mostly on our way to collect our sisters from Camp Lake Hubert in Minnesota. We visited our cousins in Okoboji too. During two memorable summers, we traveled by car to sunny Saint Petersburg, Florida. Mom was at the wheel, Susi was co-pilot. Dad flew in later.

Mom and Dad made sure that the Bullock girls had summer fun, sending us to camp - first Bar-L-Ranch in Guthrie Center, then Camp Foster and other camps in Minnesota and Colorado. I traveled to Camp Cheley near Estes Park with my pal Sally.

Mom and Dad did not travel that much. I get it - he lived out of a suitcase all week long, thanks to his career as a women's clothing rep. Okay, he was a panty man for Lorraine Lingerie. Mom and Dad did take some trips with friends, leaving us behind to "rough it" with super sitter Lulabelle Herbert.

I'm not sure why Mom and Dad decided to take Bets and me along on the trip to Biloxi. I also remember visiting our grandparents and think it was the same trip - but could be making that part up. Their plan was to golf, leaving us to swim. One problem - it was cold!

Planning ahead (Mom), they took us to a toy store and we each got to buy something to keep us busy. I chose Clue! So poor Betsy was at my mercy in the golf course clubhouse as we played Clue while Mom and Dad knocked a little white ball around. I'm sure I dominated my little sis in the game. No, not really. Betsy always had a knack for being lucky/good at games.

We also went to a Sea World in Biloxi and later traveled to New Orleans where my big memory was my first pair of Adidas - Robert Haillets. So very cool! Betsy remembers the fancy restaurant we ate at where the men's restroom had urinals with crushed ice. I'm not sure why she got to see that...
I love my Clue memory with Mom and Dad. Congrats to the honor of being selected for the Hall of Fame, Clue. You were already in mine.

No comments: