Sunday, November 19, 2017

Ch ch ch changes

Our local newspaper, The Des Moines Register has a "can't miss" section, call "2 Cents Worth". It's a short anonymous blast by readers. Yes, the proverbial train wreck that one can't stop looking at. I admit it's a guilty pleasure of mine. Topics range from politics (local and beyond) to dog poop to thanks for turning that wallet in at the mall.

Recently a post (or a letter to the editor) blasted our local grocery store chain, HyVee, for changing. The poster thought they should "stick to just providing good food". Gee, I'll bet the brain trust at HyVee never thought of that... (this is what I do - read the posts and ridicule them).

The grocery industry is near to my heart because this was my first foray into the working world. Dateline: Gamble Robinson Company, May 1980, Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Unsuspecting young college graduate - fresh from four years of fun and "book learning". I quickly figured out that college accounting and economics had nothing to do with the real world of being an Office Manager at a grocery wholesale operation.

The other employees in the office (not 4-year college graduates) were kind enough to teach me everything I needed to know. It was a crash course in real life working world. I grew up a great deal during that year in Sioux Falls.

Today, Gamble Robinson is gone - swept up years ago by another, larger corporation. I miss the Snoboy fruits and vegetables logo! The second location I worked at, Gamble Robinson in Omaha, is now a parking lot at the Old Market.

My point? Times change. The grocery industry is really changing. Prepared meals are a big thing. Amazon purchased Whole Foods. If you don't change - you could become a parking lot. The Fareway Company (another grocery chain - sticks to food, not open Sundays) has a model of not changing. It has worked well for that company to-date. It will be interesting to see if Fareway survives with this MO as Millenials become the largest group.

Giving Back

It's been a while since I put myself out there, volunteering. I've been looking for opportunities and finally, thanks to a conversation with a co-worker, got hooked up with Lutheran Services of Iowa (LSI). I'm a  rookie classroom assistant in their English as a Second Language program for refugees. After I contacted them about my interest in the program, the application process was fairly rigorous, including a TB test at the Polk County health center.

I volunteer once a week for two hours in a classroom with an instructor named Sue. She does a great job of being very inclusive - getting all the 12-14 attendees involved. For the first hour, we all work together as they practice listening, speaking and writing. For the second hour, I have had the chance to work one-on-one with a participant - using flashcards and worksheets. That has been especially fulfilling for me - though I need to work on ways to assist the person I'm working with better. I hope it comes with experience!

This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for this opportunity to meet new people from places I've never heard of. Paul and I are off to Saint Louis to be with our family. I hope you have a lovely holiday! 




No comments: