Monday, October 30, 2017

Take That, Lucy!

Charlie Brown kicked the ball this time. And it felt so good!

So many times, Iowa State University football fans have been used to getting oh, so close to a big win - then in the blink of an eye, the football gods whisked the victory away. A fumble, a missed field goal - you know the drill.

Saturday, Paul and I were able to watch our team beat Texas Christian University, ranked #4, making our team 4-0 in October. Say, what? It's been a beautiful thing. I hope it doesn't stop, but my Cyclone past tells me "one game at a time".

Saturday was chilly. Good thing Kevin and Kari have sides for their tent. The little radiant heater we purchased at Costco came in handy too. It was nice to see Krissy and Caleb Carroll - they had a day off from parenting as their baby girl Lenny, in Creston with the grandparents. I bet Bobbie was loving it. Jeff had to sneak in time with her during harvest.

I was glad my hunter husband brought along some "Hot Hands". Even though the sun was shining, it got chilly quickly. We did do a bit a jumping around during the game - one of Matt Williamson's buddies was a great high-fiver.

Toward the end of the game, the Cyclones were perched precariously on a 7-point lead (14-7). TCU was driving. They were inside our ten yard-line. Lucy was getting ready to grab the ball away when Charlie approached. Time was ticking down and overtime didn't bode well. Just like that, our defense came up with a turnover! And then to end the game, another turnover. Cyclones win!

Celebrating after the game was what fans live for. Cyclone fans are a loyal lot. We've stuck with our team through thick and a lot more thin. Still, we love our Clones. And partying in a parking lot. I admit I got a little choked up watching the fans rush the field. We sang Sweet Caroline. It was marvelous! After the game, we waited out the crowd by tipping a few beers in celebration. It was a joyous bunch - the same people who have gathered after many a tough loss. This was more fun!

Life isn't all sports, although at our house - sports consume quite a bit of our time. On to other topics. There has been much published of late about sexual harassment. I am fortunate that I don't have any stories to share. I have much sympathy for anyone who has had to endure this type of attention.

A Des Moines Register columnist wrote recently about all of the decent men in her life, which allowed me to reflect on this in the same manner. How fortunate I've been to work with many decent and honorable men (and women). It's my hope and desire that anyone who is treated unfairly, sexually harassed and assaulted will now be emboldened to speak up. And that they will be heard, not discounted. If they aren't heard the first time, they will tell another. Those who have felt like they could take without asking. Time's up! 

No comments: