Saturday, September 19, 2015

Peddling for beer in Des Moines - a small city

Early in the week Paul texted me to see if I was up for a social event. A group from his work was organizing to rent on of those beer peddling carts downtown. They needed at least twelve people. Were we in? The weather didn't look promising as I scanned the Internet, but what the heck. It sounded like fun! We were in.

On Friday night we met the group at the High Life Lounge. It had rained most of the afternoon and we drove downtown in torrential rain. But things were looking up - it was only sprinkling as we walked into the retro bar decorated with old beer signs reminiscent of the White Rose in Atlantic. Some of the people with us drank PBR, but I couldn't bring myself to step back into the world of bad beer. I went with a wheat ale. Snobby, no?

The USDA State Conservationist for Iowa retired a few months ago, so they've had a fellow here "acting" for a few months until they hire a permanent replacement. Rick is from New Hampshire where he is the State Con. The Iowa staff is determined to show him "Iowa nice". He's getting the full Iowa in my opinion - having experienced the ISU vs. Iowa game last weekend including the Tip Top bar in Ames.

We were surprised at the bar by running in to several people we knew. I know - it's Des Moines. We should expect to see people we know. First were John and Jacque Coen - a couple we've known for 10+ years when we worked with them prior to their marriage at Holy Spirit in Creston. We watched John as a young kid growing up too - St. Malachy student leading the way for Amy and Jud. They too were taking a beer bike thingy with their friends.

Then we saw Amy's college roomies Rachelle and Jenna. It's always fun to run into them and say hi and talk about our mutual loved one, our daughter Amy. I'd just spoken to her before heading into the bar - she was awaiting a flight back to Atlanta from Denver where she mixed work and fun. Rachelle and Jenna are great friends and I'm glad they've stayed in contact.

At 7 pm were were off and peddling with DJ (or BJ - he mumbled) our driver. Five people on each side peddle, a few just sit there and the driver steers and brakes for traffic. It was still misting so I was glad I had on my visor and jacket to start! We didn't go far, but it was quite enough peddling - especially when we went up hills and were chasing the unit the Coens were in. #oldstersnearlycaughtthem
view from non-peddling end seat

There were shots at a couple of the stops. Monster and cinnamon whiskey. Probably why we are starting a bit slow today. I finally got to hit AJ's on Court - where they were doing karaoke. I missed Diana McKim as I'm always her backup singer. We did catch up with Coens at our last stop, Hessen Haus, before returning the bike thingy to the garage. At that stop, Rick drank a boot of beer with the help of his friends.
Outside my sister Cindy's fave bar Locust Tap

outside of Hessen Haus with John and Jacque Coen

I enjoyed talking to Paul's co-workers and spouses about things other than work! This a lot of fun and believe I'd like to do it again sometime. Unlike other states, Iowa open container laws don't allow drinking on board the bus, but the stops were frequent enough that we didn't really miss it. I starting drinking water during the last part of the evening so that I could be the driver for the trip back to West DM and we arrived safely. On to the rest of the weekend!

No comments: