Saturday, September 5, 2015

Another season

It's another year of following Iowa State University football - always an adventure. Usually not a winning one, yet we continue on the path.

My first experience attending a Cyclone game was with the Rodgers family. Wayne and Anna Day took me along with their daughter Sally for the homecoming game. Sal's sister Cindy was an ISU student so it must have been around 1970 and it was Clyde Williams Field (later Amy lived in a dormitory built on/near that site). Prior to that game, my only college football experience was of the Hawkeye nature - wearing black and gold, watching the Hawks getting pounded by Purdue 60-3.

I can't say I fell in love with Cyclone football that day, but it began a long relationship that I doubt ever ends. I'm a Clone through thick and thin. Yes, we've had a lot of thin - yet from the sellout crowd lined up to attend today, you'd never know it. Cyclone fans are the best damn fans in the country if I do say so myself. Sure we complain, are filled with angst over the state of the programs at times - yet, build it and we will come.
One of my fave football pics

At least at the beginning of the year when tailgating is good. The truth is, we like each other! We like the traditions of the game, arriving at our tailgating spots to meet others from around the state - they may be relatives, college friends of long ago or co-workers. Some people park by the same groups year after year. We spent game week planning the menu and stocking the bar. It's a little like camping!

During the day, cheer squads wander by to sell T-shirts and calendars. Food is served. It's fun to see what's on the menu across the huge expanse of parking lot. The band marches by. Friends stop by for a beer. We walk to visit other people's tailgates. There are the phone calls, "no - we're under the pirate flag by C-4" - talking them into our site. I'm pleased to report that most of the Port-A-Potties now have hand washing stations - an upgrade in the past year. Kids toss the football and play Cornhole (it's not what you think - it's like bean bag toss).

Right before the game there's the rush to get organized. Where's my ticket? What else am I taking? Do I need a jacket? Hat? Sip that last beer on the way into the game. Then we greet the folks around us in the stadium. We've sat in Section B for many years with a group of friends. (We miss a few who no longer purchase season tickets :>( )The people around us are like neighbors. Some are like irritating neighbors...like the woman who sits behind us and has been known to yell, "Run Forward!" when we have the ball. Jeez. No shit lady.

I thought Dee was going to jack her or her equally dumb spouse, as she has little patience for idiotic comments. The guy the sits by Paul is as intense as Jud can be about sports but now he brings his adorable kids and is trying so hard to be a "good sport."

2014 - wow, my hair actually obeyed

Ooh we love our band and they sit not too far from us in the North end zone. Now ISU has filled in the South End Zone and has placed a huge screen TV screen above. Nice viewing from our end. It's going to be awesome. Let's hope the team is up to their part! I'm full of pre-season optimism. It can't be as bad as last year, right? I am pulling for our coach as I like the guy. I hope we avoid injuries and have some luck to go with better talent on defense. If we lose...on to the next game, right?

Go Cyclones!

No comments: