Friday, May 8, 2015

The Circle of Life makes my eyes wet

Paul and I attended The Lion King musical at the Des Moines Performing Arts Center last night. It was my third time and Paul's second time to see a production of this show. Oh how I love it!

The first time I saw The Lion King musical was in 2000 with daughter Amy and my sister-in-law Jean Fox and her daughter Margaret - also known as Peg. We were on Broadway - for reals! Peg secured special last minute "single" tickets for us at the Amsterdam Theater. We were all seated near each other, but were not next to any family member.

I only had one tissue - and it was shreds by the end of the show. I was overwhelmed! I was used to the Disney cartoon version of the story and wasn't expecting to feel such emotion. The beautiful music and portrayal of animals characters in the beautiful old restored theater made me weep.

Last night we were in lucky row 13 - good seats where we could see the characters. Some of them come right into the aisle and were very near us. The production was good and little Simba and Nala were adorable. The singers were excellent. And oh that song.

The Circle of Life hits me in the heart. When the new baby lion is held up for all to see - I can't help but think back to calling our parents when our children were born - to tell them of the new little life joining our family. At that time hospitals had real phones - so making calls was a production. Amy and Patrick were born in the evening but Jud was born at 11:30 p.m. - a late call for my folks in Florida!
Mom gave Amy that antique box

On this Mother's Day weekend, I'm a little sad that our children didn't have a chance to get to know my mother better. She passed away from lung cancer (heavy smoker) when Amy was 11 years old and Jud was 8. The memories they do have are few and faded. She was so proud of the whole clan and enjoyed parading them about - in Atlantic and in Florida. Betsy was pregnant with baby David when Mom passed away. He's now a junior in high school.
on the Country Club cart path

After Mom died, Dad did a great job of getting to know his grandchildren. In some ways I believe that because Mom was gone, they were closer to him then they would have been. Dad's friend Kay Harris was very welcoming when any family would visit, baking peanut butter and chocolate pie. Dad liked to drive the kids around in the golf cart at their Atlantic home, a condo perched on the back 9 of the Atlantic Golf and Country Club.

Two years ago my niece Leslie had a baby boy. And so it goes. At one point in the Lion King, Mufasa tells his son that the stars are past kings looking down on us. Somewhere Mom and Dad are smiling down too.

Lyrics:
It's the Circle of Life And it moves us all Through despair and hope Through faith and love Till we find our place On the path unwinding In the Circle The Circle of Life

No comments: