Thursday, May 7, 2015

Super Powers

My friend Cindy posted this on Facebook today:
"I just now realized I'm a Super Hero and my special power is invisibility"

I joked with her and said something about women of our age possessing this super ability. We Rock! What is it about middle-aged women? Do we don the cloak of invisibility?


pic from the Internet
Unlike Harry Potter, I don't really have a beautiful cloak. I just have my average height and looks - and now my advancing age. I answered Cindy's FB post by posting that sometimes I'm okay with flying under the radar. I like to be left alone while I'm shopping. At other times it's a lonely feeling. I realize I've spent the whole afternoon without interacting with anyone. I feel insignificant.

I could do a better job of making eye contact. I could be more outspoken. But I'm really an introvert in most shopping situations and unless I'm in a "spunky" mood, I don't do things like that. And clerks look past me.

Sure - it's a case of me wanting it both ways. Leave me alone. But not too much! I want it all. Is that asking too much? I'll try to be happier enjoying my super power for now - or speak up and surprise them.

No comments: