Sunday, October 7, 2012

Paul's Reception/Book Club Goodbyes



I headed home early Thursday to attend Paul's NRCS Open House. His clerk Dixie did a great job setting up for a nice reception at his office - complete with a Cyclone cake, mints and punch. Folks from the county, people he's worked with for years (26, count 'em). I got to see some guys Paul trained through the years who have gone on to become District Conservationists like he is.
Steve in the dark hat is one of Paul's good buddies
Deb and Larry on left
 

Joan and Ginny chat with me
 
When I got there, Sharon and Steve were there, representing First National Bank - my first employer and our bank for the past quarter century. And those two are our friends too! Then Joan W. and Ginny stopped by, taking time out from their hospital jobs to wish us well. Our boys played sports together through the years - lots of commuting and bench time with those ladies. We discussed getting together midway between Creston and DSM at Dexter's Rusty Duck. We want to stay in touch with these peeps!

Towards the end of the event, Franklin Kinkade shuffled in...he used to be on Paul's board and is the guy who installed our ground source heat at our home. He had some kind of "letter to the editor" he was handing out, so I avoided him. He's in his 80's - a local character. I headed home before it was over - exhausted from a long week.

But I perked up just after 6:30 PM, cuz I was picking up Deb for book club. She wanted to go early because Pat Moeller was holding some kind of Home party in the side room at the Lobby. Some of the Book Club chicks were already in place, but I saw some of my homegirls were in ordering stuff at the Home party, so went in to say "hi" to Susan, Patti, Dee, Nancy and of course Pat.

Then it was time to discuss "Night Circus" with Book Chicks. Vidette brought delicious chocolate cupcakes from Upper Crust bakery. Elizabeth told us she's moving back to California later this month. Barb and her daughter-in-law Katherine, the new kids at book club were there. Barb brought us all cool bookmarks. Diane brought pics of her new kitty - adorable! The girls gave me a card, which made me feel quite sentimental. We planned on taking a photo but then forgot dammit! I hate this goodbye stuff. We had a good discussion of the book, though not everyone had completed reading it. On the way out, I gave away leftover cake from Paul's reception to Lobby barflies.

As usual Deb and I sat in her driveway chatting for 20 minutes. Oh I'm so going to miss this lady. My mind and heart are a sea of emotions...

No comments: