Saturday, March 25, 2017

Where's the purple?

My view of the Iowa State Capitol one morning this week

I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow too! But my voice is less than stellar (okay, bad), so don't get me started. Speaking of rainbows-

Recently Paul and I got together with red friends (you know, the right-leaning kinda red). We actually broke the no-speaky taboo and discussed politics. Paul is actually a registered Republican (just pretend red in my opinion) and of course, my fave color is blue. It was very refreshing to talk politics in "mixed" company!

It made me pine for the days when I didn't identify the people I know by colors. Now I feel I must evaluate the crowd I'm with and muffle thoughts, or at the very least comments. I'm sure people do that around me too! What has happened to us?

Something needs to change. All this separation is bad for our country. We need to talk about issues in mixed groups, like Paul and I did a few nights ago with our friends. To share thoughts and concerns - instead of only hearing anecdotes on our own carefully chosen media outlets.

I think if we talked in mixed company more, we'd find that we're not so much blue and red, but varying shades of purple. Of course, I'd be the better-looking more bluish shade of purple (haha).

I was sad to see my beloved Cyclones lose in the NCAA tourney. I love this time of year - especially when my team is playing. Though it can be nerve-wracking! Pablo and I are hoops hounds and watch lots of games, if I can stay awake... Good luck to my sister's fam favorite, the Zags of Gonzaga (pronounced Gone Zag (like sag) A). My nephew Eric is a grad and niece Sarah is a junior there. If the Cyclones can't win it, I pick the Zags!

No comments: