Thursday, March 16, 2017

Meals on Wheels

The president's new budget cuts out funding for the Community Development Block Grant program that partially funds the Meals on Wheels program. This would require local programs to make up that revenue - or simply cut back programs. Ugh!

I really didn't know much about Meals on Wheels in 1997 at the start of my environmental career. My new job came complete with an office donated by the City of Creston, located in Creston's City Hall - in the beautiful Restored Depot. The office was directly above the Congregate Meal Site. That's where seniors go four times a week to socialize and eat ahot, nutritious meals. That's also where they make the meals for Meals on Wheels, ready for delivery by volunteers.

The Meal Site serves lunch Tuesday - Friday. During the time I worked at City Hall, Fannie Luther was the manager. I loved that lady and I wasn't alone. She was so warm and friendly that I think many of the people came to lunch just to see Fannie.

Have I mentioned the tantalizing the smells coming up through the floorboards of my little windowless office? That made it hard to go home to my measly lunch leftovers... On Thursdays, the Meal Site brought in "entertainment". Sometimes it was just "Bingo". Or high school singing groups. Or local bands (loose term).

So it wasn't just the smells that made their way through the floorboards...I could hear the callers and the music, especially the bass. Every once in a while they'd ask me to come talk to the lunch crowd about recycling. I'd have to remember to speak up - because they were "elderly". That means age 60 and over. Gulp. Starting in November, I qualify! Meal prices are set on a sliding scale based on income.

No matter where I travel across Iowa, I always see signs of the Meal Site locations. These programs are crucial to seniors to help them remain healthy. Good food and visiting with others. If one doesn't show up, people check to find out why.

Also on the chopping block...After School programs. Sad.

From what I understand, conservatives want to reduce taxes to allow people to keep more of our own money. That is why they are in favor of cutting many programs like these. I too like keeping my own money. I am all for evaluating programs to ensure they are well-run and produce results that benefit society as a whole.

In my opinion, we need to consider that if our government stops providing funding for program like this, then some cities will have funding and others won't. Richer cities will have more "trickle down". I hope our country doesn't cut funding for great programs.


No comments: