Sunday, February 5, 2017

Killer Look, Glasses, Visit from Jane & Ken

The fashion world fascinates me. I know, you couldn't tell it by looking at me. It's like cooking, gardening and now fashion. I like them to read and watch - more from afar. But in practice..it is not in my gene makeup to pull them off. It doesn't stop me from trying at times, though.

I'm listening to a fiction book right now by Linda Fairstein called "Killer Look". I've read or listened to all her books about a New York Assistant District Attorney character Alex Cooper. By now the character and her co-characters are like old friends of mine. One thing I enjoy about this series is that the author takes the opportunity to educate the reader about various topics. This book is about the fashion world. I learned that Russian Jews have had a huge impact in that arena.

In the midst of a murder investigation, the book gave background on Fashion designer Ralph Lauren was born in the Bronx to Jewish immigrant parents. His name was Ralph Lifshitz. The author went on to explain how cut-throat fashion is - especially now that the workforce is dressing more casually.

Ah...Leslie drifts back to fashions of yesteryear. When I first entered the workforce, straight from college, I went to stores like Younkers to pick up ready-to-wear "separates". Clothing wasn't always so easy to purchase. The clothing industry in New York City had a huge impact on sizing clothes so that "everywoman" could buy them off the rack.

Another fashion name mentioned in the book with an immigrant Jewish background is Anne Klein, born Hanna Golofski. That name brings to mind my mother and her friends dressed up for their daytime bridge club.
Dressing up for fam events
Today we are into "casual". Though I embrace that look - I do believe we have lost something by surrendering to loosened clothing standards. That said, I don't want to be told to, "Dress like a woman."  I do not like flip flops and tee shirts at work. I must admit that I have mostly given up on dressing up at my office. I salute Chad who sports work casual daily. No jeans for him. And Callie who wears cute fashions daily. Most of us just try to stay warm and comfortable.

What is my point? Just like with many things, I'm nostalgic for days past, when women like my mother dressed up and accessorized. It was great for her and her friends. But not enough to do it myself. We can be fond of the past and still move forward. Learning from history, understanding where we came from can help us do that.

Our friends Jane and Ken were in town this weekend (they winter in sunny Florida). Ken, a media guy, MC'd an event at the West Des Moines Sheraton. The couple scored the Presidential Suite at the Sheraton during the event and visited the "dignitaries" for drinks and sushi Friday night. The most impressive part of the suite was the giant shower, so I snapped this photo of all of us but Geri's husband Frankie - who must have been afraid someone would turn on the water.
Mom and me - big early 90's glasses. Now they're back in! 

On Saturday, I buzzed to Creston to pick up my new glasses. Always great service by our good friend Dr. Don McKim and the staff at Creston Vision Clinic. Bill Sorden always helps me pick frames that fit with my especially biffed up eyeballs. Talk about fashion. Check out my glasses fashion through the years. 80's ugh! Later I met my bestie Deb for coffee. I could have stayed all day spilling my guts. We had lots to catch up on. I miss seeing her more frequently.

Back at our home in WDM, Jane and Ken came to our house (life in the Presidential Suite was over) the couple watched ISU beat the Kansas Jayhawks in basketball with us. Beating KU isn't all that rare, but at Allen Fieldhouse is. They were our good luck charms!




No comments: