Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Making memories

After our fabulous cousin Christmas on Friday in Denver, on Saturday, we were off to the mountains. We love our people there - Aunt (my sis) Cindo and cousin Colby. Plus our pals the Pottorffs and many other friends we've met through the years. We kinda like those lumpy mountains too! So majestic.

Upon arrival, the six of us, plus Cindy headed to Fiestas for lunch. We had a nice meal before the annual Lefebvre Christmas party. There was snow in them there hills, but not as much as usual. Saturday was sunny and quite warm. That afternoon, we checked into the Riverwalk Hotel and I began to gather my party "outfit" pieces. I wanted to surprise the family by showing up in my latest ugly sweater -a Santa's helper elf. Alas, the black stretchy things I thought were leggings turned out to be athletic shorts. Ugh, that wasn't a pretty picture in my head, white hairy legs on an elf. Paul and I walked down the street and I picked up a new pair of leggings at my fave store, Ptarmigan. In Edwards you don't find $20 leggings, but hey, I had to complete the outfit! The churchgoers found a nice evening service in Edwards.
cheers!
Bolder's Christmas sweater lives! My lovies
The elf sweater came complete with a hat! 

The party was marvelous yet again! Though I believe Paul and I may have baked the wiener winks a bit long on the bottom rack. #weweresingingandforgotthewinks Even though Colby no longer works at Moe's barbecue, they delivered wings and white sauce. Cindy's friend made delish meatballs. Yummy. I enjoyed watching our kids interact with the partygoers. This was Corey's first time at the big event. I wish he would have had the opportunity to meet Bolder and be at the party when he presided, calling out the music like Lawrence Welk. The party wound down earlier than in the olden days (5 years ago) and we were cleaning up by 10 p.m.
Post present opening smiles! 

The kids were excited to get up early Christmas morning and open gifts! No not really. They wanted to get the gifts over with so they could get up onto the mountain to ski and snow board. At least Corey and Jud did. I played elf and handed out the many beautiful gifts. Smiles and laughter were frequent. We were feeling the love!

Colby left to go to work at his new job at El Sabor in Vail. He's been working pretty much every day since the season started. Our kids and my big kid hit the slopes. Cindy and I hit the jigsaw puzzle (this year it was "Games We Played") - I'm glad to report there were no paper cuts. The skiers came back tired but intact as well!

That night we attended the annual Pottorff yummo meal. They kindly extended their invite to all six Goldsmith-related peeps. I heart them! We met their new family member, puppy Dodger. The Sanders family was there and our pal Frank who brings lovely vino, but we'd like him even if he didn't. I enjoyed listening in on the "kid table" conversations. Bonnie and Eric's son Byron now works as a trainer at a small university. Reeve graduated and will attend grad school. Amy's getting hitched! They are growed up compared to the first time we were invited eight years ago.

I really hated saying goodbye that night as we were taking off early the next day to travel back to Iowa. We won't see our loved ones again for quite some time. (insert tears). Amy, Corey, Jud and Kara stayed on at Cindo's one more day for more mountain fun. They stopped at El Sabor for a lunch break and rumor has it their cousin with connections there bought. Those four (plus their auntie & cousin) seem to enjoy hanging around each other. #suchafunfam
I hear rumors of cart racing when the kids got back to Denver. Kara and Corey are speed fiends I'm told.

And so another Christmas is in the books. Phew. I love having an excuse to get together with my family, but dread the holiday build up - ya know? It's a lot.
Early morning goodbye to the mountains

Ten years ago on Christmas Day morning I got the call from Dad's girlfriend Kay that he was being rushed to the hospital in Omaha. He passed away a few days later as all four of his daughters had arrived to gather around him. I can't believe it's been that long. I sure miss him.

I don't know what happens to us we die. But I believe that when we are still alive and gather together  - whether with family or friends, the spirits of loved ones past are there with us. And they have had much to be pleased about.

lunch walk at work the first day I was back
d caption

No comments: