Monday, December 19, 2016

I Got the Feels

A little after 6:00 a.m. each Monday morning is not the most cheerful time for me. That's when, each week, I arrive at the "over the hill" Wallace Building to work. I love what I do - but where I do it, now that's another story.

If you know me, you've heard and seen my litany of complaints.
  • Mice (and the occasional rat)
  • Lack of working elevators - one day a couple weeks ago, we were 0 for 4 for a few hours
  • Leaking roof
  • Bugs on Floor 1, so I have to walk the gauntlet of slow crawlers on my way to the elevator each morning
  • Smell - this winter the joint has been plagued with the smell of death. They keep telling us that it's the sewer, but I believe my nose can still tell the difference between crap and dead rodents...
There's more, but you get the gist.

Imagine my delight this morning when I walked in to see each and every occupied cubicle decorated as if there were a little working (tissue paper flames and all) fireplace outside the doorway, with a stocking hanging there. Each stocking had the name of the proud cubicle occupier on it.
Some elves took a great deal of time out of their personal time to put these up. Nobody is fessing up, but I believe it was the supervisors and bureau chief.

That fake fire warmed my heart. There is nothing like a little appreciation to bring a smile to one's face early on a Monday morning. I may be a long winter for state workers....we might want to leave those fireplaces up! Many thanks to the elves.

No comments: