Monday, May 30, 2016

Hanging at home on Memorial Weekend

I'm feeling a little sad that we're not heading to Colorado this long holiday weekend. My Facebook feed has been torturing me with photos from trips the past few years. Alas, we decided to stay home after such a busy spring already. Plus we will see my sissens in Oregon in July. Yippy!

Pennsylvania residents, Amy and Corey are visiting friends in Denver now. Amy is actually working too, so she's staying a couple weeks to visit several graphic design clients. It's hard to believe she moved away from the city nearly a year ago already. It was the place she'd called home for something like six years.

Colorado in the springtime is fabulous. Unless it snows - and that's happened before when we were there, even in June for my nephew Colby's high school graduation. Colorado is my second fave state - probably because of all of the people I love that live there (even after Amy moved away).

Pablo and I have figured out a few things to do in DSM this weekend. Farmer's Market (snagged some more rhubarb for you guessed it - another pie) and a movie and bike ride and plans for kayaking. The weather has sucked less than the talking weather heads lead us to believe.
David (he was prom royalty) and his prom date

There have been and will be a few milestones this spring. High School Graduation - Baby David, the youngest Bullock grandchild will receive his diploma from Kennewick, WA high school - that last of 5 Kohans. My sis Betso now knows exactly how Pat Bullock felt when she graduated from AHS the last of four Bullock girls. Phew!

Betsy has been through all those fundraisers. Their 5 children went through 9 years of Catholic School prior to entering public high school. Plus dances, athletic competition and various other school activities.

Two children wore me out. I can't imagine five. I tip my visor to you Betso Bean! David will attend the U of Washington this fall, following in brother Paul's footsteps. Way to go Dave!
Brownlee family (Kate, Tom, new grad Matt and Amy)

Meanwhile, in Denver, my cousin Amy's son Matt graduated high school too. I'm disappointed he'll not be attending Drake (he visited there with Amy on a soggy fall day last year), but I'm not surprised that he'll follow sister Kate to Colorado State University. DSM is a cool city, but still - no mountains. Atta boy Matt!

Memorial Weekend

This weekend we especially recognize all of those who gave their service to this great country.

It's been a long time since I walked in a cemetery. When we lived in Creston I walked up the hill from our place to Calgary Catholic Cemetery quite frequently. I became quite familiar with the much loved ones buried there. What a peaceful place.

We used to go to Atlantic frequently when Mom and Dad lived there. We'd visit our Bullock cemetery plot directly across from the Nishna Golf course (or the Super Bowl bar). Paul and I would hang items on the shepherd's hook there by our son Patrick's grave. Dad used to take great pride in placing live flowering plants by the family graves each year, but that became impossible for me to take over living an hour away from town. Another family tradition fell by the wayside.

I take comfort in knowing that while special, a cemetery is just a place. We visit when we are in town - and especially enjoy the lovely maple tree planted with Patrick's memorial funds.

Jud and Kara are visiting uber cool Austin, TX this weekend. I can't wait to hear about how they enjoyed that city where my good pal Paula lives. I was there a couple years ago and like it immensely!

On Monday we drove south to Indianola with the kayaks and met friend Deb to paddle Lake Ahquabi. That lake was crazy busy. We chatted and paddled, then followed up with a beer and chips at a Mexican restaurant in town. I miss our frequent get-togethers. We didn't even have time to discuss politics and too soon it was time to go home. At least this work week will be a short one!



No comments: