Sunday, May 15, 2016

Bucket filling

Relationships fill my bucket. This weekend it came pouring in! First my longtime pal Mary traveled to town from NW Iowa with her friend Henry. The bond we have stretches back to my first year in Creston, 1987. Mary was the "welcome lady" for a women's sorority Beta Sigma Phi. Yeah, that sounds a little bit snooty. Mary likes call it "girl's club".

I've mentioned before that I'm an kind of an introvert. Mary's warm personality broke through and an instant friendship formed. I much admire Mary's easy way with people - so empathetic. And she never forgets anything, asking after relatives and friends, your job and health. People like that in a friend. Mary was by my side when I lost my infant son and later my mom.

Friday night we got to show Hank and Mary a couple of places (4) in our little city. Have I mentioned how much I enjoy living here? You can probably tell. One reason is - people come visit us! Our first stop was our "go to" spot, the Stuffed Olive. The food is good there, and the martinis are excellent.

Next we walked in the cold Iowa spring wind over to the Iowa Taproom - the newest bar in town. We were able to secure the end of a table to sip the delectable brew. We discover that Mary had never been to one of the East Village's oldest venues - Locust Tap.
Yes, that's the Capitol emerging from Hank's head.

A server at the Taproom clued me in on a joint I've been wanting to visit in the Sherman Hill area. I'd scoped it out - a bar with no name outside, just neon beer signs. Challenge accepted! Carl's is a little nicer version of Locust Tap. They like the Cubs there. I'd go back - it's homey.

Back home we dug into the desserts I'd picked up at Whole Foods. A lime tart, crème brulee, and some kind of chocolate thing that even the checker assured me was delish. It was nearly 1 a.m. by the time we hit the hay. Late for this girl.

The Farmer's Market was on the menu for Saturday. The weather didn't cooperate - cold and windy. We did snag burritos before I got out of the wind. Our friends Kevin (recently retired from John Deere) and Kari with their pal Lori joined us at CABCO. It was nice to see them. That was where my head nearly exploded with the connections - Kevin and Kari know Don and Diana, and Mary does too. Poor Hank - he must have spent a lot of time pondering his next paddling trip as we chatted about mutual friends. I value my time with Mary and it was nice meeting a new friend Hank - who like to kayak.

And just like that, tag, the next group of friends were here. We met Bobbie, Jeff and my former roomie Joan for lunch at On The Border. It was fun to catch up with Joanie - someone I used to spend so much time with when I called her house my part time home. I met Bobbie at the same time I met Mary - she was in my sorority "pledge class". As part of the sorority heebeejeebee (sp) stuff, we pledged ourselves to loveliness. I think it worked out swell! Our husbands have become the best of friends as well, but they are not as lovely. We have had some fun with this couple, and they have been there through thick and thin with us.

That night we took B&J to the Iowa Taproom. Yep, now we're "regulars". Bar flies. We put our name in to actually eat there (1 hour wait). We ordered a variety of appetizers along with salads. The food was pretty good.

We saw the peddle-mobile pull up while we were there and Bobbie got the card from the driver for future reference. That will be a chance for more bucket filling. 

Today my college roomie Vicki called from Minnesota - with husband Fred, and our friends Steve (Moose) and Kay in the room. They were celebrating the graduation of Alyssa Wilt from the University of MN. She's the youngest child of our little group. Aww, they are growing up. Wilt's oldest daughter Jaime is now Dr. Wilt, PT. Kelli Behr Hoskins is expecting her first child in August. Jud is married. Lauren Behr and her BF are going to Peru this summer. Amy and her BF are settling in to life in PA. They all turned out pretty darn swell, despite us!





No comments: