Saturday, March 19, 2016

Week in review

What a week. First we got to hang out with Jud (soon to be married) for a weekend. Then Amy was here for nearly a whole week! A rare treat when one's children live far (St. Louis) and wide (Pennsylvania). I'm feeling the love!

I like seeing and being with their "others" - Jud's fiancĂ©, Kara, and Amy's boyfriend Corey. But this time we got each of our children alone. And they met each other for lunch Sunday in Hannibal as Jud traveled back to STL and Amy traveled here after Kara's bachelorette party). It was like old times. And just what we needed before the big life change coming up when we happily welcome Kara to the fam.

This weekend is Jud's bachelor party in St. Louis. his buddies from college, who we got to know during those many tailgating weekends, traveled from places afar to party with him one last time as a single man. His local pals from town are there too.


Amy's visit here was a working trip. She's a graphic designer, a small business owner who doesn't have the luxury of "just saying no" to customer emergencies - and they all are, aren't they? "I need that label tomorrow!" There were highlights - Paul's birthday dinner at Smokey D (on Amy), Paul and Amy waxing her car, game watch Friday with Jane Flack at Draught House 50. We had to do breakfast at the Waveland on Amy's last day.
 
Being with our children is certain to bring up memories of them when they were children. Those years went by quickly - in retrospect. I love having adult children and the people they have become. Not younger versions of either Paul or myself, but their own people. Good ones!

Today marks the birthday of my twin nephews Alex and Paul Kohan. I went out to help my sister with the little guys after she had a difficult pregnancy - 3 months bed rest prior to popping out these two guys. Then mastitis. I left Paul in charge of our two cherubs - Jud was just over 1 at the time and Amy was four. Nanny Leslie!

I was only there for a few days, but in that short time I decided that I wouldn't wish twins on anyone! When one would be clean and resting, the other was messy and screaming. Or they both were! They weighed in at about 6 pounds - 2/3s the size as my  babies were. I did what I could to help Betso and husband Wayne to care for the kids, do laundry and their kitties, who were out of sorts because they'd been replaced by screaming meemees. When I returned home to my kids - Jud seemed giant by comparison to A&P!

Fast forward 26 years - Alex and Paul have grown in to fine young man. No doubt thanks to early nurturing by yours truly! I'm looking forward to seeing them at Jud's wedding in a few weeks. HBD guys!

No comments: