Tuesday, March 22, 2016

I have something in my pocket

It belongs across my face. I keep it very close at hand in a most convenient place. I'm sure you cannot guess it if you guess a long, long while so I'll take it out and put it on it's a great big Brownie smile!

I think those are the words to one of the many Brownie and Girl Scout songs I learned in my scouting days. It is Girl Scout cookie time. I've only purchased one box, but I tipped extra. I don't really need to eat cookies, but do wish to support the scouts.

Back in the day, when I was tasked with selling the cookies, we actually went door-to-door to take orders, like little vacuum cleaner salesmen. "Yes, ma'am, can I interest you in some Thin Mints?" Check. "Gimme 2". They were all of $.75 back then.

I loved scouts. First we met in the gym at our school, Washington Elementary. On meeting days I would get to wear my little tan Brownie dress and sash. So cute! We'd say our Brownie pledge, do an activity, have a treat and play with our pals.

At one meeting, Robyn and I raced in the gym - she forgot to put on the brakes - plunging through a plate glass window. That look inside her knee made me feel faint. I think I earned a "guts" badge. Robyn earned stitches.

After that, we "flew up" into Girl Scouts where the uniforms were green (a premonition of my future career perhaps?) - green sashes too. I didn't get the beanie! We met at the Christian Church up above Robyn's house. Cindy Peterson's mom was the leader of our "troop". I remember going to Day Camp one summer - out near Sunnyside. I got to take a pocket knife and we cooked over a fire.

My sisters, Susi and Cindy stuck with GS (Girl Scouts) longer than I did. Susi got to go to Washington, D.C. I don't remember if Cindy did. I ended up switching to 4-H  - because I got a horse and wanted to attend the county fair and show him off. No DC trip for me. My sister Susi has stayed active in her support of the Girl Scouts and a I admire her for it.

Tomorrow is my pal Robyn's birthday. That makes about 54 or 55 years we've known each other - our friendship gets better each and every year. Here's to you my friend!



No comments: